Hyundai to launch tablet production in RussiaJuly 13th, 2012 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) South Korean company Hyundai will launch tablet computer production under its brand name in Russia, with sales expected from autumn 2012.
“We are preparing to start sales at the Russian market (in September). We signed the first distribution agreement with Tekhnotreid firm last week and we are looking for other distributors,” a Hyundai official told the gazeta.ru online newspaper.
Hyundai will provide two seven-inch tablet models, one model with 9.7 inch screen and one with 10.1 inch screen working on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich mobile operating system.
Each model will have 1 GB RAM and 8 GB onboard memory, and will support Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions, said Dmitry Ryabinin, chief analyst of the Hi-Tech@Mail.Ru website.
The South Korean company is looking to produce the first batches of tablet computers in China by October 2012 and then re-deploy its facilities to Russia.
If sales reach 200,000 tablets in the first year, Hyundai may build a plant in Russia, a source said.
Ryabinin also said that it would, however, be difficult for Hyundai to take a significant share of the tablet market due to strong competition from other producers.
The tablets could cost from 7,000 rubles ($213) to 12,000 rubles ($365).
- Exhausted Russian reporters plan anti-demonstration protest - Mar 13, 2012
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- Russian flood toll rises to 100 - Jul 08, 2012
- Moscow allows poll protest Dec 24 - Dec 14, 2011
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Putin's presidential campaign goes online - Jan 12, 2012
- Russian interior ministry orders new drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to raise liquor, cigarette tax - Apr 29, 2012
- Russia to spend $44 bn on Arctic projects - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian journalists fired for photos targeting Putin - Dec 13, 2011
- Norway attacker took paramilitary training in Belarus - Jul 28, 2011
- Everything's OK in US-Russia relations: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia may spend $12 bn on satellite navigation system - Feb 08, 2012
- Russian Navy working on 30-year development plan - Feb 06, 2012
- Couple held for selling newborn in Moscow - May 09, 2012
Tags: autumn, batches, bluetooth, brand name, chief analyst, computer production, distribution agreement, gazeta ru, gb ram, hyundai, mail ru, operating system, ria novosti, rubles, russia moscow, russian market, south korean company, tablet computer, tablet computers, tablet market