Hyundai to invest $130 mn in new plant in MexicoAugust 30th, 2012 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 30 (IANS/EFE) South Korean automaker Hyundai Motors Company’s Mexican unit said it planned to invest $130 million in a new plant that will manufacture aluminum auto parts in Tijuana, a border city in the northwestern state of Baja California.
The plant is expected to create 300 direct jobs and make up to 900,000 units of three new automotive products for different models sold in the US, Hyundai said.
Hyundai Translead chief Kenny Lee laid the cornerstone for the new plant, the automaker said.
The plant is expected to start operating in 2014 and “production could rise to 1.5 million units when it is at 100 percent of capacity”, Hyundai said.
Hyundai de Mexico is a division of Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, the No. 6 automaker in the world and the second-largest corporation in South Korea.
Hyundai designs, manufactures and sells automobiles and auto parts around the world, employing more than 57,000 people.
The South Korean automaker has a network of more than 900 dealers in North America.
Hyundai has a plant in Tijuana, located near San Diego, California, that manufactures dry and refrigerated cargo containers, as well as other transportation products, for the North American market.
- South Korea's auto production plunges - Sep 09, 2012
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Audi to build $1.3 bn plant in Mexico - Sep 07, 2012
- GM to invest $540 mn in engine plant in Mexico - Jan 21, 2011
- Auto production hits record level in Mexico - Oct 18, 2011
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
- 3 die in Mexican plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Nissan expects production boost from $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jul 11, 2012
- Brazil sets auto export quotas for Mexico - Apr 05, 2012
- Nissan to build new $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- South Korean carmakers' exports hit record high - Apr 09, 2012
- Argentina looks to stem imports of Mexican-made autos - Apr 03, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales tumble - Sep 03, 2012
- Chrysler plant in Mexico to build Fiat subcompact - Mar 09, 2011
- Chinese automaker to develop electric car with US partner - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: 5 million, auto parts, automotive group, automotive products, baja california, border city, cargo containers, efe, hyundai, hyundai motors, hyundai translead, korean automaker, mexico city, mexico mexico, northwestern state, san diego california, south korea, south korean, tijuana, transportation products