Hyundai to increase car prices from JanuaryDecember 7th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 7 (IANS) Automobile major Hyundai Motor Wednesday said it will hike prices by 1.5 percent to two percent across models from January 2012.
“The price increase will come into effect in January 2012. We are in the process of working out the specific increase on the various models. Broadly the increase will be 1.5 to 2 percent across all models,” said Arvind Saxena, director of marketing and sales, Hyundai Motor.
According to Saxena, rising input and fuel cost coupled with rupee depreciation were the reason behind the price hike.
“The pressure of rising inflation, higher fuel costs and sharp rupee depreciation has compelled us to look at a price increase on our models. All these factors have now made it very difficult for us to absorb the rising costs,” he said.
The company did not divulge the date from which the price revision would take place.
Currently, the company offers hatchbacks Eon, Santro, i10, i20, sedans Accent, Verna and sports utility vehicle (SUV) Santa Fe models in the country.
Earlier, the company’s November sales including exports increased by 28.1 percent at 57,080 units from 44,540 units sold in the like period of last year.
The company said sales were boosted by the company’s sedan Verna and hatchback Eon offerings which were launched recently.
Other car manufacturers such as General Motors (GM) and Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) have also decided to hike prices from January.
While GM will increase prices by one-to-two percent next year, the prices of TKM cars manufactured in India would be hiked by about 3 percent.
The rupee has so far depreciated by nearly 16 percent against the US dollar in 2011. The high input and interest costs have dampened the auto-sector sales.
- Hyundai Motor's November sales up 28.1 percent - Dec 01, 2011
- Renault to increase prices of Koleos - Dec 14, 2011
- Hyundai Motor's April sales up 4.9 percent - May 02, 2012
- Hyundai's June sales up by 3.5 percent - Jul 02, 2012
- Auto-industry's mixed results for November sales - Dec 01, 2011
- Hyundai's May sales zoom by 16.6 percent - Jun 01, 2012
- Hyundai's August sales grow one percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Hyundai's domestic sales up by six percent - Sep 01, 2012
- Hyundai's February sales down, exports fall - Mar 01, 2012
- Hyundai enhances supply of its diesel powered i20 and Verna - Apr 16, 2012
- Hyundai's September sales up 12.4 percent - Oct 01, 2011
- Auto industry posts good sales despite bleak sentiment (Roundup) - Oct 01, 2011
- Auto industry to entice customers with new launches in 2011 - Jan 16, 2011
- Hyundai's March sales grow by one percent - Apr 01, 2011
- July auto sales slump as interest rates, fuel prices rise (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: arvind, auto sector, car manufacturers, depreciation, director of marketing, fe models, fuel cost, fuel costs, hyundai motor, interest costs, price hike, price revision, rupee, santro, saxena, sedans, sports utility vehicle, tkm, toyota kirloskar motor, verna