Hyundai decides to shift production of i20 to EuropeMay 8th, 2009 - 2:49 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul, May 8 (ANI): The Hyundai Motor India has reportedly decided to shift the production of one of its premium models ‘i20′ to Europe.
“Hyundai Motor is considering moving production of the i20 to Europe because about 90 per cent of them are being shipped there,” company sources said.
The plan follows a strike by a section of permanent workers at Hyundai Motor India in Chennai, the Financial Times reported. However, company sources refused to comment on this.
Employees of Hyundai’s factory in Chennai were on a hunger strike. The workers were demanding recognition of the employee union, formed in 2007. They also demanding charter includes, re-instatement of dismissed employees, hiking basic wages and reducing the performance-linked pay component in employee salaries.
“Because of these problems, we cannot keep up with targets and hence some production will shift to one of our facilities in Europe,” Rajiv Mitra of Hyundai Motor India was quoted as telling the daily.
This Hyundai vehicle is built on an all-new platform and is designed taking into consideration the European tastes in both style and ride.
The fresh premium, five-door, hatchback model got its design from the Hyundai’s European Car Design Centre in Russelsheim, Germany. (ANI)
- Hyundai offers glimpse of new i30 - Sep 07, 2011
- Sacked Hundai workers detained, hunger-strike foiled - Nov 30, 2011
- Protesting Hyundai workers roll out cars on empty stomach - Nov 30, 2011
- Decision on Hyundai workers dispute expected this week - Aug 16, 2010
- Strike halts Hyundai production at Tamil Nadu plant - Jun 08, 2010
- Hyundai India to shift i20 export production to Europe - Jul 25, 2009
- Hyundai Motor India strike enters second day - Jun 08, 2010
- Hyundai Motor India suffers Rs.65 cr loss as production stops (Lead) - Jun 07, 2010
- Agitating Hyundai Motor workers arrested - Jun 08, 2010
- Hyundai Motor to shift part of i20 production to Turkey - Feb 22, 2010
- Hyundai and Nissan Motor log growth in July - Aug 01, 2012
- Toyota aims to sell 70,000 units of Etios models in 2011 - Dec 06, 2010
- South Korea's auto production plunges - Sep 09, 2012
- Striking Comstar Automotive workers plan fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Workers' strike at Comstar Automotive enters day 13 - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: basic wages, car design, charter, chennai, company sources, employee salaries, european tastes, financial times, hunger strike, hyundai, hyundai motor, hyundai motor india, hyundai vehicle, mitra, premium models, rajiv, russelsheim germany, seoul, taking into consideration, targets