Hyderabad builder arrested for cheating DLFJune 23rd, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 23 (IANS) Hyderabad police Saturday arrested top builder Gowri Shankar Gupta for cheating construction and real estate major DLF to the tune of over Rs.300 crore.
Gupta, owner of PVR malls, was untraced and on the run for five months. He was arrested by the Central Crime Station (CCS), a wing of the city police, Saturday.
Gupta, his wife Sarita Gupta, brother Gopal Gupta, and six others were booked by the CCS in February this year for cheating, criminal breach of trust, misappropriation and criminal conspiracy. Two cases were registered on a complaint by DLF Universal Ltd.
The economic offences court in March had dismissed the anticipatory bail pleas of Gupta and his brother but granted bail to Sarita Gupta and six others.
According to police, SBPL Infrastructure Ltd, owned by Gupta, defrauded DLF by giving controversial properties as security for six real estate projects. Gupta had taken advances of Rs.284 crore in cheques and Rs.30 crore in cash from DLF for building shopping malls and other projects in a joint venture.
The projects include a shopping complex on the prime land of Gandhi Medical College in the heart of the city.
Gupta had allegedly claimed that he had a lease for 99 years for Gandhi Medical College land but actually the government had granted him lease of only 33 years. Gupta brought in DLF as a third party for the project in violation of an order from the government.
- Hyderabad police book PVR Mall owners - Feb 29, 2012
- Tough year for realty, no respite seen in short-run (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cash-for-bail: Suspended judge, seven others booked - Jun 09, 2012
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Gurgaon to have 16-lane super specialty corridor - Jun 28, 2012
- Court denies bail to accused in Emaar case - Dec 12, 2011
- CBI to file supplementary chargesheet in Emaar case - Apr 09, 2012
- CBI to file additional chargesheet in Emaar case (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 09, 2012
- The 14 accused in the 2G case - May 15, 2012
- L&T; achieves financial closure for Hyderabad Metro Rail (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Court reserves verdict on Raju's bail plea - Aug 16, 2010
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- Suspended judge sent to police custody in bribery scam - Jun 29, 2012
- CWG graft case: Two accused granted bail (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- L&T; achieves financial closure for Hyderabad metro - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: 33 years, bail pleas, breach of trust, ccs, city police, criminal breach of trust, criminal conspiracy, crore, dlf universal ltd, economic offences, estate projects, gandhi medical college, gupta, heart of the city, infrastructure ltd, misappropriation, prime land, shankar, shopping complex, shopping malls