‘Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation’May 23rd, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 23 (IANS) Terming existing agreements on hydro-electric projects in Jammu and Kashmir as discriminatory, patron of the main opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Wednesday asked the state government to “renegotiate” these with NHPC.
Mufti Sayeed said the people of the Chenab River Valley region, the waters of which had changed the destiny of people in the plains, were living in an “era of unending darkness”.
“This is shocking and the government must renegotiate the agreements with NHPC (formerly National Hydroelectric Power Corporation) and the benefits must flow to the people of the area,” said Sayeed.
The Chenab Valley region is the name given by Kashmiri leaders to the north-eastern part of the Jammu region including Doda, Kishtwar, and Udhampur districts through which the Chenab river flows.
There are three projects on the river namely Salal, Dul Hasti and Baglihar. There are plans to construct more power projects on the river.
Mufti Sayeed was addressing a public rally at Doda, about 175 km north-east of Jammu.
“It is our pledge that we will continue our struggle to get these discriminatory agreements revoked to make Jammu and Kashmir economically self-reliant,” he said.
- PDP assures action plan for growth of Chenab Valley - Sep 06, 2012
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- Mufti seeks boost for Kashmir economy - Dec 26, 2011
- Kashmir focuses on smaller hydroelectric projects - Oct 19, 2011
- Kashmir reviews terms of NHPC-run power projects - Jan 03, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir has huge power deficit - Feb 25, 2011
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
- Water sharing treaty with Pakistan is 'discriminatory': PDP - Apr 19, 2009
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- Kashmir imposes usage charges on hydro projects - Feb 03, 2011
- Kashmir minister lambasts NHPC for 'resource drainage' - Jun 06, 2011
- Kashmir power projects to be allotted through tenders - Mar 06, 2010
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- PM to inaugurate Baglihar project Friday - Oct 07, 2008
Tags: chenab river, democratic party, electric projects, hasti, hydro electric, hydroelectric power, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, kashmiri leaders, kishtwar, mohammad, mufti mohammad sayeed, national hydroelectric power corporation, pdp, power projects, public rally, renegotiation, state government, udhampur