Hu arrives in India, to meet ManmohanMarch 28th, 2012 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here Wednesday on a two-day visit to participate in the BRICS summit and to hold wide-ranging bilateral talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The Chinese president is accompanied by a high-profile delegation comprising Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, State Councillor Dai Bingguo, senior ministers and business leaders.
Hu will meet Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Wednesday before participating in the BRICS summit next day.
Hu, along with the presidents of Russia, Brazil and South Africa, will attend a banquet hosted by President Pratibha Patil in the evening.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold bilaterals Thursday afternoon with the Chinese president that will cover various issues including bridging the trade deficit and fasttracking the new confidence-building measures.
The two leaders are expected to declare 2012 as the year of India-China friendship and unveil initiatives to bolster cultural exchanges and people-to-people contacts.
India is expected is to raise the issue of huge imbalance in bilateral trade which has exceeded $70 billion, with the surplus heavily in China’s favour.
Hu will speak at the plenary session of the 4th BRICS summit Thursday where he is expected to highlight China’s position on global governance, sustainable development and ways to ramp up intra-BRICS trade and investment.
This will be the last visit to India by Hu as China goes in for a leadership succession later this year. He last came to India in 2006.
- Hu in India Wednesday: trade imbalance, cultural ties on agenda - Mar 27, 2012
- India reassures China over Tibet, calls for stronger ties (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- India, China open year of friendship, push boundary solution (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Chinese companies asked to import more from India - Mar 28, 2012
- India, China to begin boundary talks Monday - Jan 15, 2012
- India reassures China over Tibet issue - Feb 08, 2012
- Tibetans protest as India, China hold talks - Mar 01, 2012
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- India, China to pursue balanced trade (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Ahead of BRICS summit, Krishna to visit China - Feb 03, 2012
- Krishna to open new Indian embassy complex in Beijing - Feb 06, 2012
- Indian Navy ships in China next week, to expand strategic trust - Jun 07, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to leave for third BRICS Summit in China tomorrow - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: bilateral talks, bilateral trade, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, confidence building, cultural exchanges, dmitry medvedev, global governance, hu jintao, india china, leadership succession, manmohan, manmohan singh, plenary session, president hu jintao, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian president, thursday afternoon