HP to exit PC businessAugust 19th, 2011 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 19 (IANS) Computer major Hewlett-Packard is planning to spin off its industry-leading but struggling personal computer business as part of a major restructuring exercise.
In a surprise announcement Thursday, HP said it would also end the TouchPad tablet it launched last month, as well as its webOS smartphone line it got by acquiring Palm last year though it will continue trying to “optimize the value” of its purchase.
HP also said it has agreed to buy British software developer Autonomy for roughly $10.2 billion in cash. Autonomy specialises in database search and other enterprise software technologies.
The bold move to reshape HP, the world’s largest tech company by annual revenue, would be in line with the strategic vision CEO Leo Apotheker unveiled in March, CNNMoney said.
In May, Apotheker told analysts that the company needed to put greater investment into its “value-added services” or it will “be left with a business that is running out of steam.”
Consumer PC sales have slumped industry-wide for the last several quarters, as tablets like Apple’s iPad have slowed netbook and mini-notebook sales. The trend has hit HP particularly hard: sales to consumers fell 17 percent between May and July.
“The tablet effect is real,” Apotheker said on the call with analysts Thursday. “Consumers are changing how they use PCs.”
Despite its recent struggles, HP still sells more PCs than any other vendor, shipping 14.9 million PCs last quarter giving it control of 17.5 percent of the market.
Dell and Lenovo are in a near-tie for second place, each with more than a 12 percent share of the market and shipments in excess of 10 million units last quarter.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- HP Unveils TouchPad To Take On Rival Tablets - Feb 10, 2011
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- Amazon launches 'Kindle Fire' for $199 - Sep 28, 2011
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- HP quarterly profit plunges - Nov 22, 2011
- How Steve Jobs changed the world - Oct 06, 2011
- Mini-laptop market to shrink by 40 mn in 2012 - Dec 08, 2011
- Lenovo unveils 12 new products, sees double-digit market share - Jun 23, 2010
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
- HP Touchpad on sale for just $99 and its already out of stock in many shops - Aug 22, 2011
- Android's big share of global tablet shipments in Q4 2011 - Jan 27, 2012
- iPad To Dominate Market For Next Two Years Experts Say - Aug 29, 2010
- Lenovo rolls out PCs with Windows 7 operating system - Oct 22, 2009
Tags: 10 million, arun kumar, autonomy, bold move, british software, cnnmoney, database search, ipad, last quarter, leo apotheker, notebook sales, pc business, personal computer business, quarters, running out of steam, software developer, software technologies, strategic vision, surprise announcement, value added services