Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya DasamiOctober 6th, 2011 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Birbhum (West Bengal), Oct 6 (IANS) Wishing the people a happy ‘Bijaya Dasami’, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Thursday hoped that prices of essentials would come down and the growth rate go up.
“I wish everybody a happy Bijaya Dasami. I hope that everybody stays happy and fit,” Mukherjee told reporters on the occasion of Bijaya Dasami at his ancestral home in Mirati, near Kirnahar in West Bengal’s Birbhum district.
Idols of mother goddess Durga and her children were immersed in Ganga river and other water bodies across the state on the day, marking an end to five days of puja festivities.
“At the national level, as the finance minister of the country, I want the price of essential commodities to come down, a high growth rate and less fiscal deficit,” said Mukherjee.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has conducted as many as 12 policy rate hikes in the past 20 months to tame the near double-digit inflation. Fiscal deficit also increased substantially in this fiscal and led to creation of inflationary pressures on the economic system.
Some economists feel that the RBI’s move to increase rate hikes would hamper growth of the economy.
Mukerjee dons the priest’s role during the traditional Durga Puja celebrations at his ancestral home in Mirati, 200 km from Kolkata. He performs the puja rituals and reads from the religious scriptures during the five-day puja.
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- Mamata greets people on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Pranab's Mirati rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Prayers, festivity in Pranab's village - Jul 22, 2012
- Inflation still at 'unacceptable' level: Pranab - Dec 15, 2011
- Happiest day of my life: Pranab's elder sister - Jul 25, 2012
- We will celebrate on July 25: Pranab's daughter - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab takes time out from busy schedule for Durga Puja - Oct 14, 2010
- India's finance minister is now a priest - Sep 26, 2009
- RBI may hike rates again if inflation remains high: Pranab - Jul 27, 2011
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- RBI may raise rates to curb inflation: Mukherjee - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: ancestral home, bank of india, birbhum district, durga puja, durga puja celebrations, economic system, festivities, fiscal deficit, goddess durga, inflationary pressures, kolkata, mother goddess, pranab mukherjee, rate hikes, rbi, religious scriptures, reserve bank of india, union finance minister, water bodies, west bengal