Honorary Indian Institute of Technology doctorate for Rata TataAugust 8th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 8 (IANS) Ratan Tata, chairman of Indian industrial conglomerate Tata Group, has been conferred an honorary doctorate degree by top Indian technology school the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B). India’s President Pratibha Patil handed over a Doctorate Honoris Causa degree to Ratan Tata here Friday for representing “the best traditions of Indian entrepreneurship and innovation.”
The honorary degree was presented to Tata during the 46th convocation of IIT Bombay.
Speaking on the occasion, Patil said Tata “is an example of the growing strength and confidence of our business enterprises to become multinationals with a presence across the globe in this century.”
Tata was chosen for the honorary doctorate in recognition of his “outstanding contributions to the growth of Indian industry, to the propagation of the values of business ethics and to the overall growth of the country,” the award citation said.
Tata has gained international acclaim in recent times by unveiling a Rs.100,000 car and for global acquisitions - that of the UK-based global steel giant Corus Steel and the British premium automobile brands Jaguar and Land Rover.
He has already been conferred two of India’s top civilian awards - the Padma Bhushan in 2000 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
This year, the IIT-B awarded as many as 1,569 degrees - the highest in its history so far - to successful students at various levels.
Present on the occasion were S.C. Jamir, Governor of the western India state of Maharashtra, as well Vilasrao Deshmukh, the state’s Chief Minister. The technology school’s chief Ashok Misra and the chairman of the school’s Board of Governors Anil Kakodkar were also present. Kakodkar is also chairman of the country’s Atomic Energy Commission.
- PM confers honorary doctorate on Azim Premji - Aug 18, 2012
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- Ratan Tata force behind group's international foray - Nov 24, 2011
- Lucknow University to confer degree on eminent nuclear scientist - Dec 31, 2009
- Vice President Ansari calls for emphasis on education research - Aug 07, 2010
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate IGNOU's Tibetan study centre - Aug 30, 2011
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- B Muthuraman takes over as new CII president, Adi Godrej elected CII president designate - Apr 11, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- PM's 'missing' degree: varsity suspends one, orders probe - Jul 30, 2011
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012
- Aligarh Muslim University to honour A.R. Rahman - Feb 25, 2009
- Declare coastal nuclear sites 'critically vulnerable': Swaminathan - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: anil kakodkar, ashok misra, atomic energy commission, award citation, civilian awards, global acquisitions, honorary doctorate degree, iit bombay, india state, indian institute of technology bombay, industrial conglomerate, padma bhushan, padma vibhushan, president pratibha patil, rata tata, ratan tata, state of maharashtra, steel giant, tata group, vilasrao deshmukh