Hong Kong bank offers 0.001 percent interest rate on depositsMay 21st, 2009 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, May 21 (DPA) Hong Kong’s leading bank, HSBC Holdings, Thursday was offering interest rates so low that customers would need to save $250,000 for a year to earn enough interest to buy a cup of coffee.
A record low interest rate of 0.001 percent was being offered by HSBC, which has 4.2 million customers in the city of seven million, because of what it described as rock-bottom interbank rates.
The rate meant that a saver would need to deposit two million Hong Kong dollars ($258,000) for a year to get enough interest to buy a cup of coffee costing 20 Hong Kong dollars.
A saver with 100,000 Hong Kong dollars would have to keep the money in the bank for around 20 years to earn enough interest to buy the same cup of coffee under the new interest rate.
Despite the cut in rates for savers, the prime rate for loans from HSBC remained unchanged at 5 percent.
The city’s other main banks - Hang Seng Bank Ltd, Bank of East Asia Ltd, Standard Chartered and Bank of China - all have deposit rates of 0.01 percent.
- RBI seeks feedback on savings deposit rate deregulation - Apr 28, 2011
- World Bank issues first yaun bonds - Jan 05, 2011
- Unions protest HSBC's plan to axe 3,000 jobs in Hong Kong - Sep 08, 2011
- U.S. government seeks names of U.S. residents with HSBC India bank accounts to avoid taxes - Apr 08, 2011
- Indian American doctor charged with hiding India accounts - Sep 29, 2011
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Benchmark indices subdued, midcaps rise - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex climbs from two-year low to close 158 points up - Nov 24, 2011
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Ahead of monetary policy review, Sensex closes dull - Dec 15, 2011
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Agricultural Bank of China on track for record IPO - Jul 08, 2010
- Sensex closes 463 points down, rate hike hits markets (Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- Interest rates on provident fund, post office savings hiked - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian Bank to raise $500 mn for overseas operations - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: bank of china, bank of east asia, cup of coffee, dpa, east asia ltd, hang seng bank, hang seng bank ltd, hong kong bank, hong kong dollars, hsbc holdings, interbank rates, interest rate, interest rates, leading bank, money in the bank, prime rate, rock bottom, seng bank ltd, standard chartered, two million