Hindustan Salts keen on mining in HimachalApril 3rd, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 3 (IANS) State-run Hindustan Salts Ltd has again shown interest in mining rock salt in north India’s only mines located in Himachal Pradesh, state Industries Minister Kishan Kapoor said uesday.
Hindustan Salts Ltd applied to the state industries department in last December for the fresh mining lease in Darang and Gumma areas of Mandi district, Kapoor said.
He said failure of the company to obtain necessary clearances and permission (under the mining rules) led to the closure of the salt mines Jan 15, 2011.
“Hindustan Salts Ltd was extracting 1,500 metric tonnes of salt every year from Darang and Gumma mines,” the minister said.
On granting a mining lease, Kapoor said a joint survey of the area would be conducted by the state’s forest, industry and revenue departments before allowing the company to restart extraction.
He said the company has so far paid Rs.9.17 lakh out of the committed royalty of Rs.30.71 lakh to the state.
However, the minister added, there is not any proposal from the company for setting up a solution mining unit in the joint sector.
The raw salt extracted from the Mandi mines is used for cattle consumption only. It’s not being refined to be made fit for human consumption.
- Himachal stops rock salt mining - Mar 13, 2011
- Government pulls up 20 percent mines - Sep 18, 2011
- Heated exchanges in Himachal house on pulses scheme - Mar 28, 2012
- Himachal earns over Rs.130 crore from cement firms - Apr 06, 2011
- Himachal identifies land for SAIL plant - Apr 04, 2011
- Goa imposes Rs.5 lakh fine for transporting illegal ore - Aug 14, 2012
- Commission pegs Goa mining scam at Rs 34,935 crore, BJP wants Kamat booked (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Andhra axes mining lease to YSR's son-in-law - Jun 11, 2012
- Low import duty hits Himachal silk growers (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs 34,935 crore: Justice Shah Commission - Sep 07, 2012
- Mining firms encroaching on government land: Kamat - Apr 06, 2011
- Iron ore export eating away resources: Justice Shah - Sep 17, 2011
- Jindal Saw signs iron ore mining deal in Rajasthan - Jan 04, 2011
- SAIL not keen on proposed facility in Himachal - Mar 27, 2012
- Congress demands auction of Goa iron ore mines - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: cattle, closure, forest industry, gumma, himachal pradesh, human consumption, industries minister, kishan, lakh, mandi district, metric tonnes, necessary clearances, north india, proposal, revenue departments, rock salt, royalty, salt mines, salts, shimla