Himachal tribal district has best child sex ratioApril 1st, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 1 (IANS) While the overall child sex ratio has declined in India, Himachal Pradesh’s Lahaul and Spiti district has set an example with 1,013 females per 1,000 males in the 0-6 age group - the highest in the country at the district level.
Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh is the district with the second highest child sex ratio at 1,005, according to provisional data for Census 2011 released by Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner C. Chandramouli in New Delhi Thursday.
Interestingly, at the district level the first two slots in the child sex ratio in the country, Lahaul and Spiti and Twang, are both Buddhist-dominated. Himachal Pradesh figures among the states that have seen an increasing trend in the child sex ratio.
However, the country’s child sex ratio has declined from 927 females per 1,000 males in 2001 to 914 females per 1,000 males.
Jhajjar and Mahendragarh, both in Haryana, have recorded a low of 774 and 778 respectively.
Lahaul and Spiti is a thinly populated district. As per the state election department, it has around 22,000 voters. The climatic conditions of the area are harsh as much of the land falls under a cold desert where the mercury drops below minus 20 degrees Celsius during winter.
The locals are known for producing the most disease-free, pest-resistant seed potato varieties that sell like hot cakes across the country. They also cultivate peas, cauliflower and hops.
- Himachal to punish internet purchase of sex test kit - Jun 18, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining sex ratio means we'll all become gays: Farooq - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Summers for making money, winters for making merry' (Postcard from Lahaul and Spiti) - Nov 02, 2011
- Sex ratio declining in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2012
- Himachal seeks central package for health services - Jan 09, 2012
- Kinnaur -- where improved literacy is leading to dismal sex ratio! - Apr 08, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Though India's worst, Haryana's sex ratio is best in 110 years - Apr 10, 2011
- Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistanis also praise BJP campaign on girl child: Chouhan - Nov 23, 2011
- Jharkhand sex ratio above national average - Sep 21, 2011
- Civil society calls for attention to declining sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- Himachal fair to fairer sex (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: cauliflower, child sex, climatic conditions, cold desert, election department, himachal pradesh, hot cakes, jhajjar, lahaul and spiti district, potato varieties, provisional data, registrar general of india, resistant seed, s child, seed potato, sex ratio, spiti, state election, tawang, twang