Himachal seeks to rein in monkeysSeptember 21st, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 21 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Wednesday requested the central government to allow it to employ people under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) to check monkey menace in the state.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal told a visiting Rajya Sabha panel here to allow the state to employ locals in villages to shoo away monkeys from agricultural fields, a statement from the Chief Minister’s Office said.
The Rajya Sabha committee, headed by Birender Baihya, is touring the state to study implementation of the MGNREGS.
Thousands of farmers in Shimla, Solan, Sirmaur, Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Una, Mandi and Kangra districts have incurred losses due to the marauding monkeys.
As per forest department estimates, more than 900,000 farmers are badly affected by the simians. Monkeys, numbering over 300,000, target mainly cereal and fruit crops.
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
- Himachal farmers kill monkeys to save crop - Dec 12, 2010
- Himachal farmers load guns for 'Operation Monkey' - Dec 10, 2010
- Central government to help Himachal in tackling monkey menace - Oct 14, 2009
- Emu farming spreads wings in Himachal - Aug 06, 2012
- Himachal's aloe vera crop: In comes money, out goes monkey - Jan 20, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Naughty monkey on prowl for spectacles - Sep 03, 2010
- Court restrains monkey killing in Himachal - Jan 06, 2011
- Marauding monkeys to face gun in Himachal - it's official - Dec 01, 2010
- Himachal to have 12 more silk producing units - May 10, 2012
- Increase work days in rural job scheme, demands Dhumal - Oct 15, 2011
- Nabard sanctions Rs.70 crore loan to Himachal - Jul 24, 2012
- Rural job scheme to raise anti-monkey brigade - Aug 11, 2009
- Rains bring down temperatures in Himachal - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: agricultural fields, bilaspur, central government, cereal, chief minister, farmers, forest department, fruit crops, guarantee scheme, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, kangra, locals, mahatma gandhi, mandi, monkey, monkeys, rajya sabha panel, solan, target