Himachal seeks funds for apple post-harvesting facilitiesMay 8th, 2012 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh, the country’s prominent apple-producing region, Tuesday urged the central government to allocate Rs.15 crore special assistance for strengthening post-harvesting facilities in the state.
State Horticulture Minister Narender Bragta met Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) Chairman Asit Tripathi in this regard here.
Bragta pleaded for setting up an apple grading and packaging house at Kharapathar, one of the major apple production areas in Shimla district, an official statement said.
He also sought central assistance for packaging and grading centre at Rohru, some 120 km from Shimla, and for upgrading state-run Himachal Pradesh Horticultural Produce Marketing and Processing Corp plant in Jarol near Sundernagar in Mandi district.
The economy of the state is highly dependent on apples, besides hydro-power and tourism. The apple industry is worth Rs.1,500 crore (around $330 million).
- Himachal seeks central package for fruit crop loss - Aug 04, 2011
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Himachal needs Rs.400 crore for anti-hail guns - Aug 23, 2011
- Himachal's fruit processing plant to be modernised - Jun 24, 2011
- Hike duty on imported apples: Himachal Pradesh - May 09, 2012
- Parle to buy apple concentrate from Himachal - Dec 17, 2010
- Himachal to adopt global apple packaging norms - Apr 03, 2012
- Himachal seeks grants for overhauling fruit grading units - Feb 23, 2010
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Himachal to set up another apple juice concentrate plant - Dec 30, 2009
- Himachal wants import duty on apples hiked - Aug 03, 2011
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- FDI will ruin Himachal's apple industry: Minister - Sep 19, 2012
Tags: apeda, apple industry, apple production, apples, asit, central assistance, central government, economy, export development authority, food products export development, himachal pradesh, hydro power, narender, New Delhi, processed food products, production areas, regard, state horticulture, tourism, tripathi