Himachal Pradesh to push health tourism on Kerala linesJune 8th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 8 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh, one of India’s more popular tourist destinations, will now promote ancient systems of nature cure on the pattern of Kerala to lure health-conscious affluent visitors, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal has said.
“Our main focus will now be to tap high-end health tourists. Such tourism is quite popular in Kerala. We are adopting that pattern,” Dhumal, who also holds the tourism portfolio, told IANS.
“We are identifying spots far from crowded areas, where we plan to open these nature-cure centres. Initially, nine health resorts will be opened,” he said.
The government has also decided to send 28 ayurvedic medical officers to Kerala shortly for training in nature cure systems, and plans to request the southern state for specialised masseurs to train Himachali youth.
“Himachal’s rich medicinal plant species can contribute towards curing incurable diseases. People in remote villages are still curing themselves by using locally grown herbs,” Dhumal averred.
Health minister Rajeev Bindal, who visited Kerala earlier this year to learn about ancient Indian systems of treatment, said his department would accord priority to promoting health tourism.
Himachal Pradesh, known for its apples, a World Heritage railway and picture-perfect tourist spots, last year attracted 9.37 million domestic and 367,000 foreign tourists. Kullu and Manali are tourist hotspots, followed by Shimla and Dharamsala, the seat of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
- Himachal to start 12 centres for ayurveda - Sep 08, 2009
- Warm home stays amid snow-clad Himachal mountains - Dec 22, 2009
- Himachal horticulture minister gets health portfolio too - Aug 14, 2012
- Himachal ties up with three helicopter taxi operators - Dec 06, 2010
- Dhumal rejects health minister's resignation - Mar 13, 2012
- Pastoral holiday on agenda? Drop in at a Himachal village (IANS Travel, With Image) - Jul 04, 2010
- Himachal health minister's resignation accepted - Jul 05, 2012
- Himachal hotels booked for weekend bonanza - Aug 18, 2011
- Himachal minister resigns amid assembly uproar (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Tourists throng Himachal on New Year's Eve - Dec 31, 2009
- Pawan Hans, other air charter firms eyeing Himachal - Jul 12, 2009
- To pull tourists, Himachal books its legends (IANS Books)(With Image) - Aug 24, 2011
- Himachal minister resigns - Mar 12, 2012
- Kerala to take ayurveda tourism to next level (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- Heli-taxi service planned to Himachal temple - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: ayurvedic, chief minister, dalai lama, health minister, health resorts, health tourism, heritage railway, incurable diseases, kullu, manali, masseurs, medical officers, medicinal plant species, nature cure, promoting health, rajeev, tibetan spiritual leader, tourist destinations, tourist spots, world heritage