Himachal Pradesh to procure 54,500 tonnes of applesAugust 7th, 2008 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 7 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government announced Thursday that it would procure 54,500 tonnes of apple crop under the market intervention scheme. According to a government spokesman, the procurement agencies will purchase apples at Rs.5.25 per kilogram. The government has set up 242 procurement centres.
The official said the fruits would be procured only from those farmers who posses horticulture card.
The state horticulture department is hopeful of a bumper crop this year, but slightly less than the previous year’s record of 29.2 million boxes.
Horticulture Department director Gurdev Singh told IANS that the total yield this season would be around 25 million boxes.
The normal production ranges from 17 million to 20 million boxes.
Apple is the main fruit crop of the state and is being grown in nine out of the 12 districts. Apple fruit accounts for about 40 percent of the total area under all fruit crop cultivation.
More than 200,000 families in Himachal Pradesh are engaged in apple cultivation and 90 percent of them are small and marginal farmers with an average holding of less than 0.6 hectares.
Besides apples, other fruits such as pears, peaches, cherries and plums are the major commercial crops of the state.
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Apple season almost over in Himachal - Nov 03, 2010
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal records all-time high apple yield - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Japani Phal' harvest picks up, Himachal traders upbeat - Sep 19, 2011
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Dhumal opens cold store, apple packing units - Jul 30, 2012
- Sweet cherries gone sour for Himachal growers - May 30, 2010
- Record cherry pick expected from Himachal - Apr 25, 2010
- Himachal invites private investment in apple production - Nov 11, 2011
- Extended chill hits Himachal's cherry production - May 30, 2011
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Two cold storages to be set up in Himachal - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: apple crop, apple fruit, bumper crop, cherries, commercial crops, crop cultivation, department director, fruit crop, government spokesman, gurdev singh, himachal pradesh government, horticulture department, kilogram, marginal farmers, market intervention, pears, plums, procurement agencies, production ranges, state horticulture