Himachal power plant remains shut for eighth dayAugust 12th, 2010 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 12 (IANS) The country’s biggest hydropower plant in Himachal Pradesh remained shut for the eighth day Thursday due to the high silt level in the Sutlej river, triggering a power crisis in the northern states of Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.
The silt level in the river on which the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri power project is located was still higher than the permissible limit, Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVNL) deputy general manager Vijay Verma told IANS.
He said in the past eight days, the plant operated only for a few hours and that too in the past three days.
“Generation cannot be resumed till the silt content comes down. Continuous rainfall in the catchment area is responsible for high silt,” he added.
This is the fourth closure of the plant this fiscal. Earlier, the plant was closed for five days from July 26 due to rise in silt level.
The stoppage of power generation is causing a daily loss of Rs.9 crore.
The SJVNL, a joint venture between the centre and the state government, daily generates about 38 million units, which are supplied to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal's power project remains shut for fourth day - Jul 29, 2010
- Power crisis in north as Himachal hydropower project shuts - Jun 24, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: catchment area, chandigarh, deputy general, eight days, eighth day, haryana, hydropower plant, jal, jammu and kashmir, nigam ltd, northern states, power crisis, power generation, punjab, rajasthan, stoppage, sutlej river, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, vidyut