Himachal not in favour of pay commissionMarch 25th, 2012 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 25 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh does not want to constitute an independent pay commission to fix pay scales of its government employees, and is following Punjab in pay fixation.
This fact came to light in an affidavit filed by Chief Secretary Rajwant Sandhu in the Himachal Pradesh High Court last week.
“The state has no intention to set up a pay commission for its employees and will continue to follow the Punjab pattern,” said the affidavit.
A bench of Chief Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice D.D. Sud in December last year expressed surprise that the state has no pay commission of its own.
The court observed the state should have a pay commission so that the pay scales are appropriately fixed or rationalised.
It had directed the government to consider this issue and appraise the court in this regard within three months.
The chief secretary in her affidavit stated that it was not necessary that every state should have its own pay commission.
“It’s true that Punjab pattern cannot be implemented as it is but at the same time separate pay commission at this stage is not necessary when the previous pay panel recommendations have been applied,” she said, adding “the court orders would be taken into consideration for future revisions”.
According to budget estimates for 2012-13, out of the total expenditure of Rs.20,243.92 crore, spending on salaries and pensions will be Rs.9,069.81 crore.
This means about 45 percent of the total budget is meant for just 260,000 employees and 117,000 pensioners.
- BJP tries to mop up votes with sops (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Constitute pay commission within three months: Himachal court - Dec 29, 2011
- Himachal offers sops to employees - Jun 18, 2012
- Dhumal government woos its babus with eye on polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Another pre-poll sop for over 300,000 'babus' (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Why proposed heritage site damaged, asks Himachal court - Dec 21, 2011
- Check taxis, trucks running illegally, court tells Himachal - Mar 05, 2012
- SC orders pay review bonanza for defence officers - Sep 05, 2012
- Himachal court summons public service commission chief - Sep 14, 2011
- Himachal roadways employees call off planned stir - Jun 18, 2012
- Girl wants parks in Shimla: Notice issued to state government - Feb 24, 2011
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- Himachal gets notice on private counsel for officials - Jun 20, 2012
- Himachal proposes Rs.20,243 crore budget estimates - Mar 20, 2012
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: affidavit, bench, budget estimates, chief justice, chief secretary, favour, fixation, government employees, kurian, march 25, panel recommendations, pay fixation, pay scales, pensioners, pensions, revisions, salaries, sandhu, shimla, three months