Himachal keen to expand airportsApril 6th, 2012 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 6 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh is keen to expand its existing airports in Kullu and Kangra districts to strengthen air connectivity, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said here Friday.
For the Kullu airport, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee has prepared a detailed feasibility report for expanding its runway by 550 metres.
“As per the feasibility report, Rs.248 crore is required. Minor extension of another 60 metres has also been planned by the Airports Authority of India (AAI),” Dhumal, who also holds the civil aviation portfolio, told the state assembly in a written reply.
He said in view of the construction of a proposed 32-km-long tunnel by NHPC Ltd for a hydropower project near the runway, the feasibility of the extension runway is being re-examined.
To extend the Kangra airport near Dharamsala, the AAI requires 26 acres of additional land.
“As per the report from field revenue authorities, about 30 families from two villages will be affected by the acquisition. Initially, the local people were adamant to give the land for it, the matter is being re-examined,” Dhumal added.
The state’s third airport is located in Shimla.
Dhumal, during the last winter session, asked the central government to provide technically advanced night landing and take-off facilities at the airports.
“We have been requesting the central government and will again request them to provide night landing facilities at Shimla, Kangra and Bhuntar (near Kullu) airports,” Dhumal said.
- Himachal demands night landing facilities at airports - Dec 22, 2011
- Safety aspects of Shimla, Kullu airports enhanced - Nov 26, 2011
- Dhumal wants international airport in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 24, 2008
- Plane makes emergency landing in Chandigarh (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Shimla airport runway has shrunk - Mar 18, 2010
- Agra may soon get international air terminal (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Agra may soon get international air terminal - Jun 09, 2012
- Himachal approaches GMR for new airport near Shimla - Jul 19, 2010
- 14 airports to get new air surveillance technology - Feb 07, 2012
- Himachal seizes two properties 'owned' by Chautalas - Dec 17, 2011
- Need medical help at Shimla airport? Wait for 40 minutes! - Oct 26, 2010
- Himachal to construct two mega tunnels - Jul 27, 2012
- AAI relaxes deadline for Patna airport till Oct 31 - Sep 18, 2012
- No large aircraft from Patna from Aug 16 - Aug 05, 2012
- Agartala airport to be air hub - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: airports authority of india, airports authority of india aai, central government, chief minister, civil aviation, crore, feasibility report, hydropower project, iit roorkee, indian institute of technology, institute of technology, kangra, kullu, last winter, nhpc, reply, report rs, revenue authorities, state assembly, winter session