Himachal invites food processing firmsApril 7th, 2011 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 7 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Thursday invited private investment in food processing industries to promote ginger cultivation in the state.
“We are inviting private firms to set up agriculture and food processing units as the state is one of the leading ginger producers in the region,” Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said in the assembly.
He said that from April 1, 2010, to March 31 this year, the state had produced 21,267 tonnes of ginger.
“Sirmaur is the leading ginger-producing district as 70 percent of the state’s total production comes from this district alone,” said Dhumal, who also holds the agriculture portfolio.
The crop is also cultivated in Chamba, Kullu, Mandi, Shimla, Solan and Una districts.
In 2009-2010, the ginger production was massively affected in the state due to drought.
“In 2009-2010, the production came down to 14,900 tonnes, whereas in 2008-09 it was 18,760 tonnes. It was 19,200 tonnes in 2007-08,” the chief minister said.
Agriculture is the main occupation of the people in the state, providing direct employment to 69 percent of its workforce.
More than 80 percent horticulture and agricultural activities here are rainfed.
- Retail chain offers to sell Himachal apples - Aug 19, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Himachal aims for 7.41 lakh tonne foodgrains - Jan 11, 2012
- Himachal launches crop insurance scheme - Jul 13, 2011
- Retail chain to sell Brand Himachal - Sep 16, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Low import duty hits Himachal silk growers (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Himachal's fruit processing plant to be modernised - Jun 24, 2011
- Himachal gets 34 percent more rain in June - Jul 01, 2010
- Himachal strawberries reap fruits of love! - Feb 12, 2011
- Himachal targets 9 percent growth (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Rainfed-dryland farming needs more investment (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Low import duty hits Himachal silk growers - Dec 20, 2011
- Himachal gets 46 percent less rainfall - Jul 17, 2012
- Bangladesh look to Africa for food security - May 19, 2011
Tags: agricultural activities, agriculture, april 1, chief minister, drought, food processing industries, ginger, himachal pradesh, horticulture, kullu, occupation, private firms, private investment, processing units, producers, solan, tonnes, workforce