Himachal hydropower station achieves record generationMarch 31st, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 31 (IANS) Hydroelectric power generation at the 1,500-MW Nathpa-Jhakri project in Himachal Pradesh touched a record 6,600 million units this financial year, officials said Tuesday.
“The Nathpa-Jhakri station has achieved a record generation of 6,600 million units in 2008-09,” H.K. Sharma, chairman and managing director of Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam, the company that owns and operates the plant, told IANS.
The company is a joint venture between the central government and the state, with the former holding a 75 percent stake.
The plant, which generated 6,449 million units in the last financial year, commenced commercial generation from its six units of 250 MW each in September 2003.
Satluj Jal Vidyut is also executing a 402 MW power project in Nepal, and two others in Bhutan.
“Today, we have gained expertise to take up mega hydro-ventures anywhere in the world. We have been invited for a partnership to execute a 765 MW hydropower project in Georgia,” said company deputy general manager Vijay Verma.
“India has a huge potential for hydropower projects. Only 30 percent of about 149,000 MW has been tapped so far. We are keen on broadening our base in the north and north-east,” he said.
The Nathpa-Jhakri project generates about 38 million units daily, which is supplied to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- SJVNL declares Rs.388.84 crore dividend - Sep 04, 2012
- SJVNL's second plant to start power generation in December - Jul 25, 2012
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Hydropower generation resumes in Himachal - Jul 30, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Record generation by Himachal hydropower unit - Jun 05, 2010
- SJVNL declares Rs.333.9 crore dividend - Sep 13, 2011
- Power supply restored in Himachal - Jul 31, 2012
- SJVNL achieves record power generation - Oct 09, 2011
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Record hydropower generation by Himachal plant - Apr 02, 2011
- SJVNL's net sales up by seven percent - Jul 30, 2010
- Himachal remains 'power-full' after bountiful monsoon - Dec 18, 2010
- Second SJVNL hydro project to be commissioned by 2013 - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: central government, chandigarh, hydroelectric power generation, hydropower projects, hydropower station, India, jal, jammu and kashmir, joint venture, kashmir, managing director, mw power project, nepal, partnership, percent stake, rajasthan, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, vidyut