Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hitAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 2 (IANS) Hydropower plants in Himachal Pradesh remained shut Thursday due to high silt level in the Sutlej river, triggering a power crisis in northern states.
The country’s biggest hydropower plant, the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri power project, and Jaypee Karcham Hydro Corp Ltd’s 1,000 MW Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project - both located in Kinnaur district - were closed, project officials said here.
The silt level in the river, on which the Nathpa Jhakri power project is located, was more than the permissible limit, a Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVNL) official told IANS.
He said the silt level, which rose more than 6,000 ppm (parts per million) Wednesday due to incessant rainfall, came down to 5,000 ppm Thursday. “Still generation is not possible as high silt can damage the plant,” he added.
S.K. Uppal, project general manager of Jaypee Group, said only one turbine of 250 MW has been working. Other three turbines have been shut.
But the company’s 300 MW Baspa Hydropower project, located upstream of the Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project, is working normally.
The SJVNL, a joint venture between the centre and state government, daily generates about 38 million units, and supplies power to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Jaypee's hydro project in Himachal starts partial generation - Jun 06, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Jaypee's Himachal hydro unit to be commissioned May 15 - May 11, 2011
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Jaiprakash hydroelectric project gets UNFCCC registration - Jun 28, 2012
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Himachal hydropower generation hit by extreme cold - Jan 22, 2012
- SJVNL achieves record power generation - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: aug 2, chandigarh, corp ltd, hydroelectric project, hydropower plant, hydropower plants, hydropower projects, jammu and kashmir, jaypee, nigam ltd, north india, northern states, power crisis, ppm parts per million, project officials, s 300, sutlej river, uppal, uttarakhand, vidyut