Himachal hydropower plant resumes generationJuly 20th, 2010 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 20 (IANS) The 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri hydropower project in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur district Tuesday resumed power generation after remaining closed for more than 24 hours, an official said here.
The generation was stopped Monday as the silt level suddenly rose in the Sutlej river - on which the project is located - due to heavy rain in the region. Its closure had affected the electricity supply in the northern region.
The generation in all the six units of 250 MW each resumed in the morning after the silt content in the river came down within the permissible limit of 4,000 and 5,000 ppm (part per million), Vijay Verma, the deputy general manager of the Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVNL), the company that operates the plant, told IANS.
He said power supply to the buyer states had been normalised.
This was this season’s second closure of the plant. Earlier, the plant was closed for a day June 24 also due to rise in silt.
The closure of power generation is causing a daily loss of Rs.9 crore to project authorities.
SJVNL, a joint venture between the central government and the Himachal government, daily generates about 38 million units, which are supplied to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Himachal power plant resumes generation - Aug 03, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
- SJVNL achieves record power generation - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: central government, chandigarh, crore, electricity supply, heavy rain, himachal government, himachal pradesh, hydropower plant, hydropower project, jal, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kinnaur district, nigam ltd, power generation, rajasthan, sutlej river, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, vidyut