Himachal hotel gets heritage statusAugust 23rd, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 23 (IANS) The Castle Naggar, Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation’s prime hotel in the the picturesque Kullu valley, has been given heritage status, an official said Thursday.
The union tourism ministry has notified The Castle Naggar under the heritage status, Chief Secretary Sudripta Roy told IANS.
Naggar, where the castle is located, was the capital of the erstwhile Kullu state for about 1,460 years.
The castle, around 25 km from Kullu town, is believed to have been built by Raja Sidhi Singh in the 16th century.
The castle has traditional architecture called Kathloonmi, which uses a combination of stones and wooden beams.
There is a historical temple called ‘Jagti Patt’ in the castle’s courtyard and is revered as the judgment seat of Kullu’s gods. The building also has an art museum.
The castle was handed over to state-owned HPTDC in 1978 to be run as a hotel.
–Indo-Asia News Service
- Himachal likely to get 50,000 weekend tourists - Aug 09, 2012
- Himachal hotel gets national heritage tag - Mar 16, 2012
- Homestay high: Himachal expects 100,000 weekend tourists (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- State-run hotels in Himachal rain discounts - Jul 11, 2010
- Shimla to hold half-marathon next month - Aug 18, 2010
- Ansari's wife, daughter on Himachal sojourn - Jul 09, 2011
- Himachal offers discount to Pakistani guests - Mar 30, 2011
- Snow-clad mountains luring tourists to Himachal - Nov 19, 2010
- Himachal wooing newly weds with special discounts - Mar 22, 2010
- Himachal plans houseboats a la Kashmir - Aug 31, 2010
- Himachal's snowy peaks pull in tourists - Dec 12, 2011
- Tourism: Kashmir's loss is Himachal's gain - Aug 05, 2010
- Snowless Himachal not so inviting this New Year's eve? - Dec 30, 2011
- Himachal invites Indian cricket team - Apr 04, 2011
- Himachal to develop eco-tourism in Sangla Valley - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: 16th century, art museum, asia news, chief secretary, himachal pradesh tourism, himachal pradesh tourism development corporation, hptdc, indo asia, judgment seat, kullu valley, news service, prime hotel, sidhi, sog, tourism development corporation, tourism ministry, traditional architecture, vg, vm, wooden beams