Himachal cancels road contract with Chinese firmAugust 29th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 29 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government has cancelled a Rs.228-crore contract with a Chinese firm for delay in executing a World Bank-funded road widening project, Public Works Department Minister Gulab Singh said here Wednesday.
“The work of Theog-Hatkoti-Rohru road which was awarded to a Chinese company was terminated Aug 11,” the minister told the state assembly.
He said the reasons for contract termination were inadequate funding of the project and non-mobilisation of resources by the Chinese company — Longjian Road and Bridge Company.
Singh said the contract for the construction of the 81-km-long road in Shimla district was awarded to the company through global bidding. “The construction work began June 5, 2008. As per the agreement, the road was to be completed within 36 months.”
He admitted that there was delay in the project execution.
“In the project’s initial stage there was some delay in getting the land transferred and getting forest clearances. Even the work had come to a complete standstill (in 2009) when the Indian government cancelled visas for the company employees. Most of the employees had to return to China.”
He said the government gave three notices before terminating the contract through the consultant appointed by the World Bank.
“To make the road motorable, the PWD spent Rs.2.5 crore in the past three-four months,” Singh added.
BJP legislator Khushi Ram Balnatah, who raised the issue, said the Theog-Kotkhai-Rohru stretch, the lifeline for Shimla’s apple belt, is in a deplorable state.
- Notice to Chinese firm on Himachal road projects' delay - Jul 10, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Himachal government asked for report on road projects - May 08, 2012
- More Chinese get visas for Himachal road projects - Jan 09, 2010
- Chinese firm to complete Himachal road project by 2013 - Mar 04, 2010
- Chinese firm resumes road projects in Himachal - Dec 05, 2009
- Bus rolls down Himachal gorge, 24 killed (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Himachal BJP legislator slams his own party's government - Mar 23, 2012
- Apples pile up in Uttarakhand due to bad roads - Aug 26, 2010
- Himachal wants five roads to be national highways - Sep 13, 2011
- Rains a pain for Himachal apple growers - Sep 21, 2010
- Chinese company to widen roads in Himachal Pradesh - Nov 17, 2008
- Cold conditions persist in Himachal, roads partially opened - Jan 18, 2011
- Abandoned pit: Gurgaon contractor gets notice - Jul 10, 2012
- Visa clampdown on Chinese affecting Himachal projects: Chief Minister - Nov 23, 2009
Tags: bridge company, chinese company, chinese firm, construction work, contract termination, crore, deplorable state, global bidding, gulab, himachal pradesh government, indian government, initial stage, legislator, lifeline, mobilisation, project execution, pwd, standstill, state assembly, widening project