Himachal bans construction in trout habitatAugust 27th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 27 (IANS) To propagate trout in the natural waters of Himachal Pradesh, the state government has decided against setting up hydropower projects in the picturesque Tirthan Valley in Kullu district, an official said here Saturday.
“No hydropower project will be allowed in future in the tributaries of the Tirthan river. This will help conserving the trout,” a government spokesperson told IANS.
He said a decision in this regard was announced by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal in the state assembly Friday.
In 2004, the government imposed a complete ban on allotting hydro projects in the Tirthan river.
“Now the government has included its tributaries too under the ban as two hydropower projects working there have a negative impact on the aquatic fauna,” he said, quoting Dhumal.
The history of trout in Himachal Pradesh dates back to the colonial rule. The British introduced trout in 1909 to promote game fishing.
The trout - mainly the brown ones - is currently found in a 600 km stretch of the Beas, Sutlej and Ravi rivers in the upper Himalayas where no other fish species survive because of the extreme cold climate.
According to the fisheries department, the entire Kullu Valley offers one of the best spots for trout fishing in the Beas and its tributaries - Sarveri, Parbati, Sajoin and Phojal.
- It's time for trout fishing in Himachal streams - May 29, 2011
- Game for trout! Anglers ready for Manali contest - Sep 09, 2010
- Poor marketing hinders trout farming - Dec 20, 2011
- Himachal to have trout processing unit - Apr 30, 2011
- Floods affect Himachal's trout breeding - Sep 05, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal trout goes to Delhi - for Games! - Sep 22, 2010
- Hydro project will ruin Himachal river catchment: Report - Jan 15, 2012
- Suspend new hydro projects in Himachal: Environmentalists - Sep 12, 2010
- Himachal taps 7,923 MW of hydropower - Mar 29, 2012
- Depleting water sources in Himachal worry locals - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal to explore hot springs for power generation - Jan 13, 2012
- Hydro projects could make Ravi river stretch disappear - Aug 13, 2010
- Himachal villagers take officials hostage - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,