Hilly Sikkim, sandy Goa to sell tourism togetherJuly 14th, 2010 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 14 (IANS) The hills of Sikkim can now sunbathe in Goa! To tap tourism synergies and boost business, the Goa Tourism Development Corporation (GTDC) and its Sikkim counterpart have signed an agreement to promote each other’s diverse tourism platters.
GTDC Managing Director Nikhil Desai said the arrangement would mutually benefit both states and that similar exchange of synergies was on cards with several states like Meghalaya, Rajasthan, West Bengal and Karnataka to beef up tourism in Goa.
“The MoU (memorandum of understandin) will help towards mutual promotion of tourism, showcasing each others’ cultural heritage to the tourists and felicitating inbound travel into the respective states,” Desai told IANS.
The agreement was signed June 23 between Desai and Sikkim Tourism Development Corporation Managing Director S. Anbalagan.
Desai said the MoU covered issues like hotel, package booking and sharing of resources. “Once a booking is made in one of these states, 15 percent of the amount will go to the corporation that has made the booking. Also, anybody who visits Goa and wants to visit one of these five states, could be assisted through the state corporations and visa versa.”
To cater to the potential increased streams of tourists, Desai said, the GTDC would incorporate private hotel owners into the business.
“We are in talks with private hoteliers and even they will benefit from the MoU,” he said.
A popular beach tourism destination, Goa annually attracts nearly 2.5 million tourists, out of which nearly half a million are foreigners.
- Goa, Gujarat to jointly promote tourism - Sep 18, 2010
- Three five-star hotels on PPP mode likely in Goa - Mar 23, 2011
- Rajasthan, Goa sign MoU to jointly promote tourism - Oct 04, 2010
- Now movies to promote Incredible India abroad - Feb 16, 2012
- Goa plans mega tourism circuits with Maharashtra, Karnataka - Aug 16, 2010
- Goa ropes in famed Konkani singer to draw tourists - Aug 16, 2010
- India to help Afghanistan develop tourism - May 27, 2011
- MoU with ASEAN will boost joint tourism, feels India - Jan 13, 2012
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011
- Change Goa law to promote wedding tourism - Aug 23, 2012
- India, Malaysia ink six pacts to take bilateral ties forward (Part-I) - Oct 27, 2010
- Tourism ministry to promote India's Buddhist circuit - Oct 27, 2010
- Heli-taxis to take wings in Himachal - Nov 06, 2010
- India targets one percent global tourist arrivals - Jul 05, 2012
- India, Kuwait to cooperate on healthcare - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: beach tourism, cultural heritage, desai, destination goa, goa tourism development corporation, gtdc, half a million, hotel owners, hotel package, hoteliers, inbound travel, mutual promotion, popular beach, private hotel, sikkim tourism development corporation, state corporations, tourism destination, tourism development corporation, tourism in goa, west bengal