Hike duty on Chinese apple: Himachal CongressJune 26th, 2011 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 26 (IANS) The Congress in Himachal Pradesh Sunday demanded a hike in import duty on apples to protect the domestic industry.
“The state is facing tough competition from China, which is marketing apples at much lower rates in the Indian market,” Congress leader Vidya Stokes told reporters here.
“I have apprised the central government,” said Stokes, a prominent apple grower in the region.
She demanded that the import duty on apples from all countries should be increased to save the domestic industry.
According to her, hailstorms in the past three months have damaged more than 80 percent crop in Shimla district alone.
Horticulture department estimates say this year’s apple production would be around 22.5 million boxes of 20 kg each - about 50 percent less than last year’s bumper production of 44.5 million boxes.
Himachal Pradesh’s apple boom is credited to Satyanand (Samuel Evans Stokes Junior).
Satyanand, an American missionary, first introduced high quality apples in the Kothgarh-Thanedar belt in upper Shimla in the early 1920s.
His daughter-in-law, Vidya Stokes, 82, a former state minister, manages most of the family’s orchards.
The economy of the state is highly dependent on apples, besides hydro-power and tourism. The apple industry is worth Rs.1,500 crore (around $330 million).
- FDI will ruin Himachal's apple industry: Minister - Sep 19, 2012
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Too much rain takes crunch out of Himachal apple - Sep 29, 2010
- Himachal seeks central package for fruit crop loss - Aug 04, 2011
- Early Himachal apple varieties fetch high prices - Jul 16, 2012
- Rains help Himachal's apple crop, record output likely - Jun 09, 2010
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Himachal wants import duty on apples hiked - Aug 03, 2011
- Himachal needs Rs.400 crore for anti-hail guns - Aug 23, 2011
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- Apple season almost over in Himachal - Nov 03, 2010
- Himachal seeks central help to promote apple - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: 1920s, 5 million, apple grower, apple industry, apple production, central government, chinese apple, congress leader, crore, hailstorms, himachal pradesh, horticulture department, hydro power, import duty, orchards, quality apples, samuel evans, shimla, state minister, vidya