High tax structure keeping away PlayStation customers: SonyOctober 12th, 2010 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 12 (IANS) Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) Tuesday said the high tax structure in India is keeping away many potential customers from its flagship product PlayStation.
“The PlayStation 3, which is available at around $330 per unit in global market is priced around $380-390 per unit in India due to the tax structure. We have requested government that some rationalisation in tax should take place,” Atindriya Bose, Country Manager, India, told reporters here.
He said high price is becoming a hurdle for the middle class, which is increasingly becoming interested in gaming.
In India, the import duty is around 25 percent, which is then added with 12.5 percent of value added tax.
Bose was here to announce availability of PlayStation Move motion controller for PlayStation 3 in select stores in the country.
The company aims to clock sales of 350,000 units this year from 240,000 last year.
SCEE is the largest player in the country in console gaming with 75-80 percent market share followed by Microsoft.
So far the company has installed 5.5 lakh PS2, two lakh PSP and 70-75,000 PS3 consoles in the country.
- Sony Computer to launch seven Indian games this year - Apr 13, 2009
- Film-based games to fuel worldwide revenue: SRK - Oct 06, 2011
- Video game on 'RA.One'; double pleasure for SRK - Aug 12, 2011
- Hulu Plus All Set to Launch on PS3 - Nov 06, 2010
- Playstation Plus Unveiled At E3 By Sony - Jun 16, 2010
- Sony PlayStation Move Sales Eclipsing Kinect? - Dec 02, 2010
- PlayStation 3 to release new expanded hard drives with 160GB and 320GB capacity in North America - Aug 18, 2010
- Tech group to release USB dongle that "hacks" PlayStation 3 - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Thor' Movie Tie In Admitted By Sega - Jul 25, 2010
- PS3 Update Unveiled By Sony, Aimed At Curbing Piracy - Jan 27, 2011
- Now a game on 'Madagascar 3' - May 29, 2012
- Microsoft to bring cable TV content to Xbox game console - Oct 06, 2011
- Prominent highlights of 2012-13 budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Budget highlights 8 - Mar 16, 2012
- Gold PS3 Released For The Geeks With Deep Pockets - Dec 12, 2009
Tags: clock sales, consoles, flagship product, global market, hurdle, import duty, kolkata, market share, middle class, motion controller, playstation 3, ps2 two, ps3, rationalisation, scee, select stores, sony computer entertainment, sony computer entertainment europe, tax structure, value added tax