High court declines to hear fresh plea on 2G (Lead)December 21st, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday declined to hear a new petition alleging violation of licence conditions in allocation of 2G spectrum by the communications ministry, saying that the issue was being monitored by the Supreme Court.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said that for it to hear the matter, being monitored by the apex court, would amount to overlapping of jurisdiction.
The court gave petitioner Yakesh Anand, a Supreme Court advocate, the liberty to withdraw the present petition and file the matter before the apex court.
Anand in his petition alleged that the department of telecommunications (DoT) distributed excess amount of “precious and scarce national resource of spectrum” to private telecom operators, without charging any additional fee.
The petitioner sought the court’s direction to investigate the notional loss to the exchequer on account of spectrum allocation as reported by the Comptroller and Auditor General in its report.
Anand also alleged that the excess spectrum was distributed without any criteria, guidelines and in violation of the licence conditions.
He alleged the DoT did not probe how excess spectrum was allocated to the private telecom service providers, including Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, Vodafone Essar, Aircel and Spice Telecom.
- 2G: Notice to centre on plea linked to excess spectrum (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Excess spectrum allocation: Apex court notice on plea for recovering charges - Mar 12, 2012
- Few telecom firms giving 3G services illegally: Petition - Sep 28, 2011
- 2G: Apex court allows review plea withdrawal (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Government, 11 telecom firms get court notice on 2G spectrum (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Apex court chides ministry for bypassing telecom panel - Mar 08, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notice to government, 11 firms in 2G saga (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Court notice to CBI on bail pleas of Reliance Group officials - Aug 26, 2011
- Will file complaint on Aircel-Marxis deal, Swamy tells court - May 26, 2012
- SC dismisses Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- 3G roaming: High court dismisses DoT plea (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Right to education law, spectrum scam top apex court's agenda - Mar 13, 2011
- Chidambaram's role in 2G pricing: Hearing in mid-March (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- SC to hear plea for more time for 2G licence auction - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: aircel, apex, apex court, chief justice, communications ministry, comptroller, delhi high court, division bench, idea cellular, licence conditions, national resource, petitioner, private telecom operators, rajiv, sahai, spectrum allocation, spice telecom, telecom service providers, vodafone, vodafone essar