High aircraft parking charges at Mumbai flayedJuly 13th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 13 (IANS) Business aircraft operators Friday decried the sharp hike in parking penalties for planes at Mumbai airport, terming the move as “illegal and beyond jurisdiction” of private airport developers.
According to Business Aircraft Operators Associaton (BAOA), the Mumbai International Airport Ltd. (MIAL) has started levying between Rs.1,000-15,000 per hour compared to Rs.20-70 metric tonne per hour charged by the Airports Authority of India.
BAOA president Rohit Kapur said the move is “completely unacceptable, illegal and beyond the purview of private airport developers” as the hike has been effected without the sanction of the Airport Economic Regulatory Authority.
He pointed out that it is the duty of the government to create adequate infrastructure for aircraft operations and if the existing facilities are insufficient, no agency can penalize the private operators.
“In fact, we have been urging the government to create the needed infrastructure in terms of parking space, separate terminals and hangars since many years, but to no avail,” Kapur said.
Referring to MIAL, Kapur claimed that there was parking space available in the Lima bay at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Aiport which is lying waste.
He suggested that it could be utilised for parking private business aircraft and if needed, MIAL could create temporary taxiways to make the bays accessible.
Since July 2, MIAL had imposed penal charges on overstaying of private jets which are registered outside Mumbai.
- Business aviation players form association - Oct 21, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Charter flight operators seek sops - Oct 20, 2011
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Flight enters 'wrong taxiway', passengers safe - Apr 06, 2011
- Kingfisher, Air India owe Rs.525 crore to GMR - Apr 10, 2012
- President inaugurates Jalgaon airport - Mar 23, 2012
- 25 hurt as Jet flight evacuated, no trace of fire - Aug 28, 2010
- Moscow airports fined over facilities for disabled - Dec 17, 2011
- SC dismisses plea on Delhi, Mumbai airports - Sep 10, 2012
- Air India plane stuck on runway, operations hit - Oct 23, 2010
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Mumbai flights will continue: Kingfisher - Dec 01, 2011
- Impounded plane stolen in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Air cargo operations launched from Ojhar airport - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: adequate infrastructure, aircraft operations, airports authority of india, business aircraft operators, chhatrapati shivaji, hangars, international airport ltd, metric tonne, mial, mumbai airport, parking charges, parking space, private airport, private business, private jets, private operators, purview, regulatory authority, rohit, rs 1