Hero Motors gets $250-mn order from Canadian firmApril 28th, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) Hero Motors Ltd, part of the Hero Group, has bagged a $250-million order from a Canadian manufacturer of recreational vehicles, the company announced Tuesday.
The order from Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is for supplying transmissions for the Canadian company’s vehicle range that includes all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles and snow-mobiles.
Hero Motors managing director Pankaj Munjal described the offer as a sign of India’s manufacturing sector stepping up to provide cheaper alternatives to the west.
“The global recession is putting pressure on large companies. Under (these) extreme conditions, the big companies are looking at sourcing from India,” Munjal told reporters.
The companies have signed a five-year memorandum of understanding (MoU) for making transmissions at Hero’s Ghaziabad facility.
Hero Motors will invest Rs.100 crore in the facility in the next five years.
“This MoU is a significant step in expanding the existing long-term strategic alliance with BRP Powertrain. We will invest Rs.100 crore to execute the contract,” Munjal said.
Hero Motors has already invested Rs.45 crore for setting up the Ghaziabad unit in the last two years, he added.
- Hero Motors and Magna Steyr to develop new product line - Sep 24, 2010
- Hero Eco Group to invest Rs.500 crore in next 5 years - Dec 28, 2011
- Rashtriya Ispat to invest Rs.42,000 crore in Andra Pradesh - Jan 16, 2012
- Ford to create 5,000 jobs in Gujarat - Jul 28, 2011
- Hyundai proposes Rs.1,500 crore investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 21, 2011
- Yash Birla to develop sports university near Hyderabad - Jan 12, 2012
- Hero Cycles to launch premium bikes in November - Sep 02, 2011
- Ashok Leyland net in 2011-12 down by 10 percent - May 14, 2012
- Kinetic Engineering to launch two new gearboxes - Jan 17, 2012
- Suzlon to develop 3,000 MW of wind energy in Andra Pradesh - Jan 16, 2012
- Samsung India to expand Chennai facility at Rs.350 crore - Nov 03, 2010
- Andhra bags Rs.5.57 lakh crore investment projects - Jan 12, 2012
- Hero Groups forays into hospitality sector - Sep 05, 2011
- Gujarat to have Asia's largest solar power park - Dec 30, 2010
- Chinese firm to ply buses in Pakistan - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: bombardier recreational products, canadian manufacturer, crore, extreme conditions, ghaziabad, global recession, hero group, hero motors, managing director, manufacturing sector, memorandum of understanding, motors ltd, mou, next five years, pankaj, powertrain, recreational vehicles, snow mobiles, strategic alliance, terrain vehicles