Hero MotoCorp to set up manufacturing plants in AfricaMarch 20th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Two-wheeler maker Hero MotoCorp Tuesday said it has identified growth markets in Africa to set up manufacturing and assembly plants there.
“We have identified some of the countries which have potential to be high growth markets. We will probably set up assembly plants in some. In some, there may be manufacturing and in others it will probably be exports,” said Sunil Kant Munjal, chairman, Hero Corporate Service.
“This will depend on each market, its legislation, and what the economics of business requires. We have seen some truly outstanding opportunities there.”
Munjal was addressing the eighth India-Africa Project Partnership Summit here.
Munjal said Hero MotoCorp had sent teams to the continent to find out potential markets for two-wheelers.
“We believe their is a unique opportunity for us to go and do business in two-wheeler segment there. Many of the African countries have shown rapid growth in the two-wheeler segment. Or teams have been visiting almost all of Africa.”
Mujal said that although many foreign firms were operating there, the company’s operational capability and production capacity would work in its favour.
“Many of our Indian friends have gone there. There are also many Chinese and Thai companies present there, even older and larger Japanese players are there. But because of the way we operate, our scale and volume, we feel Africa offers a great promise.”
The company is currently eying new markets such as Africa, Southeast Asia and Latin America, and expects to generate 10 percent of total revenue from exports in the next five years.
The company production capacity will reach more than 6.5 million units per annum from its three plants, up from 6.15 million in April 2010.
Munjal added that his company would find unique solutions for each and every market it enters.
- Hero to merge investment arm with self, invest Rs.2,575 crore - Jun 04, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp ropes in new technology partner - Sep 06, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp expects sales to pick up in festive season - Sep 05, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp in technology alliance with Italian firm - Sep 13, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp's fourth quarter net up 20 percent - May 02, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp ties up with Erik Buell Racing - Feb 23, 2012
- Bike sales in August down first time in three years - Sep 10, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp unveils new range of two-wheelers - Jan 04, 2012
- Auto firms bullish on electric vehicles after government plan - Sep 06, 2012
- Auto sales remain subdued in June (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp Q2 profit rises 19.4 percent - Oct 18, 2011
- Hero MotoCorp first quarter net profit grows by 10.2 percent - Jul 19, 2012
- Sales slowdown for auto companies in May (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Italian firm Sogefi to expand capacity in India - Jul 06, 2012
- SIAM hopes auto sales will pick up from mid-September - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: africa project, african countries, annum, assembly plants, growth markets, indian friends, japanese players, latin america, manufacturing plants, next five years, operational capability, partnership summit, project partnership, rapid growth, southeast asia, sunil kant munjal, thai companies, two wheeler, two wheelers, unique solutions