Hero, Daimler to form Rs.44 bn JVApril 21st, 2008 - 6:17 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) India’s Hero Group and Germany-based auto manufacturing giant Daimler AG Monday entered into a Rs.44 billion ($1.1 billion) joint venture to manufacture commercial vehicles. The joint venture Daimler Hero Motor Corp’s chairman, Sunil Kant Munjal, told reporters the new company would start its production by 2010.
“We are yet to finalise the location for setting-up the plant. We are looking for sites at Pune, Chennai and in Haryana. The decision in this regard will be taken within two months,” Munjal said.
While choosing the location for the new manufacturing plant, the auto giants would look into issues of easy availability of manpower, accessibility of supply chain and other factors.
The JV will have an initial capacity of 70,000 units and will manufacture only light and medium sized vehicle. “We will go ahead with our plans for manufacturing heavy vehicles later,” said Andreas Renschler, member of Daimler AG Board of Management.
Daimler would invest about Rs.13.86 billion in the current fiscal, he said.
The auto majors are hopeful that with the Indian economy booming and infrastructure facilities increasing, the demand for commercial vehicles will also go up.
Daimler has a commercial vehicles and bus assembly plant at Chakan, in Pune district of Maharashtra. The company has five truck brands, namely the Mercedes-Benz, Sterling, Western Star, Mitsubishi Fuso and Freightliner.
Last month, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved Daimler’s total investment of Rs.16.5 billion, which will constitute 60 percent of the equity capital in the JV.
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Italian firm Sogefi to expand capacity in India - Jul 06, 2012
- Nissan, Daimler eye joint plant in Mexico - Nov 17, 2011
- Daimler to label India trucks BharatBenz, unveils new logo - Feb 17, 2011
- Daimler Financial Services bets big on lease deals - Jul 19, 2011
- Daimler AG gets RBI nod for non-banking finance company - Apr 25, 2011
- Daimler to set up plant near Chennai to produce trucks (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- Daimler unveils BharatBenz trucks for India - Mar 02, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz to expand Brazilian production unit - Mar 07, 2010
- Daimler to set up plant near Chennai to produce trucks - Mar 18, 2010
- Daimler to beef up its R&D; activities in India (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Renault-Nissan, Daimler to announce alliance Wednesday - Apr 07, 2010
- JBM to enter bus business in India by 2012-13 - Sep 06, 2011
- Mahindra Navistar to beef up product distribution range - Jan 24, 2011
- Indian auto industry in top gear despite global gloom (Flashback 2009) - Dec 25, 2009