Height of Metro platform railings raised to check suicidesJuly 26th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) In an effort to prevent suicide attempts at the elevated Metro stations, the Delhi Metro after a month long survey is raising the height of platform railings, an official said Thursday.
“The process of increasing the height of the elevated stations’ platform railings has started after we did a month-long survey. So far, we have increased the height in three Metro stations — Nirman Vihar, Akshardham and Laxmi Nagar,” a Delhi Metro official told IANS.
The Delhi Metro started the survey on the elevated stations as there was a rise in the number of suicides at Metro stations.
As per Delhi Police records, seven people attempted suicide at Metro stations from January to March, and of them six people died.
“The platform railings, which are usually 3.5 metres in height, will be raised to around 5 metres. We have done with only three stations. We plan to increase the railings in 47 more elevated stations across the network,” the official said.
There are 139 Metro stations (both underground and elevated) on the Delhi Metro network.
“We have decided to increase the platform railings, as in most of the suicide attempts, we have seen, people tend to jump from the edge of the elevated platform railings, which are 20 to 25 feet above the ground level,” said the official.
The Delhi Metro normally makes over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
- Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Woman falls from Metro station platform, injured (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro moves closer to Ghaziabad (Lead) - Dec 31, 2009
- Anand Vihar Metro line to open for public next week - Dec 31, 2009
- Angst plus stress equals more suicides at Metro stations - Mar 13, 2012
- Man jumps before Metro train, dies (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Mar 06, 2012
- Capital to have mono rail by 2017 - Jan 17, 2012
- Anand Vihar Metro line opens for public - Jan 07, 2010
- Woman injured after falling from Metro station platform - Feb 14, 2012
- Track record (To go with Metro suicide story) - Mar 13, 2012
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi Metro station (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Fourth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012