HDFC Standard Life Insurance fined Rs.1.47 croreJune 28th, 2012 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 28 (IANS) The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) slapped a fine of Rs.1.47 crore on HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company.
Passing the penalty order, which was made public Thursday, IRDA chairman J. Hari Narayan said: “…I hereby direct the insurer (HDFC Standard Life) to remit the penalty of Rs.1.47 crore.”
“A penalty of this nature is a regulatory necessity in order to impress upon the management of any insurance company that regulatory prescriptions have to be complied with at all times and failure to do so will entail appropriate regulatory action,” Hari said in the order delivered Wednesday.
He directed that the penalty should be debited to the shareholders’ account and not the policyholders’ account so that the cost of non-compliance by the management was not borne by the policyholders but by the shareholders.
A bulk of the penalty was levied for rejection of death claims under the insurer’s home loan protection policy in case where the death occurred within 90 days of policy becoming effective.
The IRDA had directed HDFC Standard Life to scrap this condition in 2003 when it accorded the sanction for the product.
However, during its inspection, the IRDA found that the company rejected 21 death claims under the 90 days exclusion clause.
Imposing a fine of Rs.1.05 crore (at the rate of Rs.500,000 per rejected claim), the IRDA ordered the company to report the claims and settle them within 30 days of its order.
The IRDA also fined HDFC Standard Life Rs.3,500,000 for paying excess remuneration to four group companies - HDFC, HDFC Bank, HDFC Securities and HDB Financial Service - for services like selling policies, marketing expenses and others.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Penalty on HDFC Standard Life seen as warning - Jul 03, 2012
- HDFC Standard Life COO quits - Jul 03, 2012
- Insurance regulator fines HDFC Standard Life for claims delay - Oct 05, 2011
- IRDA fines SBI Life Insurance Rs.70 lakh - Jul 09, 2011
- Insurance regulator slaps Rs.1.5 million fine on IndusInd Bank - Jul 06, 2012
- Day after truce, SEBI says order applies to new ULIPs - Apr 13, 2010
- IRDA to contest SEBI order (With SEBI bans 14 insurance companies from selling ULIPs) - Apr 10, 2010
- Scrapped insurance products bring actuaries in spotlight - Oct 24, 2010
- Life insurers asked to defy SEBI ban - Apr 11, 2010
- IRDA asks life insurers to defy SEBI ban (Lead) - Apr 11, 2010
- Move to end regulatory turf war over insurace plans (Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Mukherjee ensures status quo on ULIPs (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2010
- Ergo looking for partners to start life insurance business - Aug 26, 2010
- ING Vysya Life to raise equity base by Rs.227 crore - Aug 24, 2010
- Policy-holders to be told about alternate hospitals - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: asian news, crore, death claims, exclusion clause, group companies, indo, insurance regulatory and development authority, insurer, irda, life insurance company, loan protection, narayan, policyholders, regulatory action, remuneration, rs 500, sanction, standard life insurance, standard life insurance company, vj