HDFC Standard Life COO quitsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 3 (IANS) Private life insurer HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Ltd.’s executive director and chief operating officer Paresh Parasnis has put down his papers, said company and industry sources Tuesday.
Speaking to IANS, an HDFC Standard Life official said Parasnis has resigned to pursue his long time interests.
“He is not joining any competing life insurer,” the official added.
Queried about his resignation, Parasnis without confirming or denying the news told IANS: “I do not want to comment now on that.”
However, company officials told IANS that Parasnis’s resignation has nothing to do with the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority’s (IRDA) Thursday order penalising the life insurer a whopping sum of Rs.1.47 crore.
The penalty is for rejecting 21 death claims in violation of the directions of the insurance regulator and also for excess payments made to distributors, including four group companies HDFC, HDFC Bank, HDFC Securities and HDB Financial Service, for services like selling policies, marketing expenses and others.
Though the IRDA has been penalising insurers in the recent times for various violations, one official has put it as “IRDA’s penalty mela”, saying the order on HDFC is unique.
For the first time, IRDA has explicitly ordered a company to debit the shareholders’ account and not the policy holders’ account so that the cost of regulatory non-compliance is not loaded on the policy holders.
The IRDA has also reprimanded HDFC Standard Life for various other violations in its order issued last week.
HDFC Standard Life is a joint venture between India’s HDFC Ltd and the UK’s Standard Life.
- Penalty on HDFC Standard Life seen as warning - Jul 03, 2012
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance fined Rs.1.47 crore - Jun 28, 2012
- Insurance regulator fines HDFC Standard Life for claims delay - Oct 05, 2011
- Insurance regulator slaps Rs.1.5 million fine on IndusInd Bank - Jul 06, 2012
- IRDA fines SBI Life Insurance Rs.70 lakh - Jul 09, 2011
- IRDA fines two Bharti Axa insurance companies - Aug 27, 2010
- Ergo looking for partners to start life insurance business - Aug 26, 2010
- General insurers, with value twice of equity base, can tap public: IRDA - Sep 19, 2012
- HDFC Standard Life sells 4,000 Smart Woman policies - Jul 24, 2012
- IRDA bans universal life products - Oct 21, 2010
- Insurance firms might find draft bancassurance guidelines difficult - Jan 03, 2012
- IRDA asks life insurers to defy SEBI ban (Lead) - Apr 11, 2010
- Life insurers asked to defy SEBI ban - Apr 11, 2010
- More than 250 ULIPs sucked out of the market - Sep 02, 2010
- Draft norms for merger of non-life insurers announced - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: chennai, chief operating officer, company ltd, company officials, coo, death claims, group companies, industry sources, insurance regulator, insurance regulatory and development authority, irda, joint venture, life insurance company, life insurer, private life, resignation, rs 1, standard life insurance, standard life insurance company, time interests