Haryana’s Sirsa district to have solar street lighting in villagesAugust 16th, 2010 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 16 (IANS) Haryana’s Sirsa district will be the first district in the country to have streets in all villages illuminated by solar street lighting system, state Power and Renewable Energy Minister Mahender Partap Singh said Monday.
All 333 villages falling in the district, around 300 km from here, will have over 6,660 solar photovoltaic (SPV) street lighting systems installed this year. Each village will get at least 20 SPV lights.
The Haryana Renewable Energy Development Agency (HAREDA) has got the Rs.126 million (12.65 crore) project sanctioned from the union ministry of new and renewable energy.
“The project would not only help in meeting the power requirements during power cuts, but would also create awareness among the public of generation of power through SPV technology,” Singh added.
“These systems would work from dusk to dawn. The complete system, including battery, would bear warranty for two years. Thereafter, the systems would be governed by three years comprehensive maintenance contract, which would cover the supply of spare parts and services during its tenure,” the minister said.
After the contract ends, the systems would be maintained by village energy committees headed by the village head (sarpanch) of the village concerned by arranging funds from the panchayat funds.
- Solar education kits in Haryana government schools - Jun 14, 2010
- Delhi's monuments will be lit by solar energy - Sep 17, 2012
- Agartala to be Northeast India's first solar city - Sep 12, 2012
- From hotels to industries, Haryana goes for energy audit - Feb 01, 2011
- Magsaysay awardee plans to electrify 1,000 rural homes - Nov 21, 2011
- Haryana can generate 1,019 MW power from surplus biomass: Report - Jan 12, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- Punj Lloyd bags Golden Temple solar power project - Aug 12, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's house, office to go green - Jul 29, 2011
- Farooq advocates increased use of solar power (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Generate power, don't pay tariff - Sep 12, 2010
- CSE alleges wrongdoing in solar mission, firm denies charges - Feb 01, 2012
- BHEL to set up 5MW solar power plant in Karnataka - Jun 18, 2011
- Maharashtra to get world's biggest solar power station - May 21, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah reviews renewable energy projects in J-K - May 13, 2010
Tags: committees, complete system, crore project, dusk, energy minister, haryana, lighting system, lighting systems, mahender, maintenance contract, partap singh, renewable energy development, sirsa, solar photovoltaic, solar street lighting, spare parts, tenure, union ministry, warranty