Haryana wakes up to traffic chaos in GurgaonOctober 25th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon (Haryana), Oct 25 (IANS) Taking stock of the chaotic state of the traffic here, the Haryana government has engaged a private consultant to make a plan to smoothen the traffic flow in this showpiece township adjoining New Delhi.The consultant, Urban Mass Transit Company Limited, Saturday gave a presentation to senior officers after conducting a traffic survey here.
Haryana’s town and country planning director S.S. Dhillon asked officials after the presentation to make suggestions regarding managing traffic here by Nov 10 so that the final plan could be put in place.
Dhillon said the same consultant would provide a traffic management plan for the industrial city of Faridabad too.
“The consultant company has prepared short, medium and long term draft mobility plan for Gurgaon which is divided into three phases. As per the proposed draft, the first phase is from 2008 to 2011, the second from 2011 to 2017 and the third phase is from 2017 to 2021,” Dhillon said.
Gurgaon and nearby areas have a population of nearly one million. Thousands of people commute daily between Delhi and this township for work since Gurgaon is home to a large number of multinational companies, IT and software companies, automobile industries and BPO and call centres.
Dhillon said that while preparing the mobility plan, it is being kept in mind that the population of Gurgaon is expected to increase up to 4.3 million by 2021 and go up to 5.9 million by 2031.
Traffic passing through the city is also likely to increase in coming years as the Reliance special economic zone (SEZ) and other similar projects come up around the Gurgaon-Manesar industrial belt.
- Hooda government selling state to land mafia: INLD - Aug 30, 2012
- Punjab unveils mobility plan for cities - Sep 09, 2010
- Gurgaon land worth millions restored to government - Dec 10, 2011
- Haryana invites suggestions for its 2025 plan - Oct 16, 2010
- Haryana's industry scene is a 'mini-Japan' - Jan 23, 2011
- Haryana to set up new industrial estates - Dec 14, 2010
- Maruti not to abandon Manesar plant, says Bhargava (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Honda strike anniversary: Curbs on protests in Manesar - Jul 24, 2012
- Manesar violence blow to Maruti, may hit Japanese investment - Jul 20, 2012
- Ethiopia seeks Haryana's help on industrial township - Feb 02, 2011
- Haryana expressway to de-congest Delhi traffic delayed again - Dec 23, 2010
- 10 Maruti union leaders arrested - Aug 01, 2012
- Hooda conducts aerial inspection of new expressway - Dec 21, 2010
- Maruti's Rs.4,000 crore plant to come up in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2012
- Traders stike in Gurgaon, traffic on highway may be hit - Oct 20, 2009