Haryana villagers made to pay for powerAugust 18th, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 18 (IANS) Having lived conveniently by stealing electricity from illegal connections for many years, residents in two villages of Haryana’s Kalayat sub-division have been forced to seek regular domestic connections.
“The Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (UHBVN) has made a major breakthrough in village Batta and Kailram where 1,581 people have applied for release of new domestic connections during the last one month alone,” a UHBVN spokesman said here Thursday.
He said the villages have 3,800 houses but only 1,387 domestic connections.
“Out of these, 727 consumers were not making payment of their bills regularly. A large group of residents was drawing electricity through ‘kundi’ connections or other illegal means,” he said.
The UHBVN was able to make this achievement after it removed the bare conductor and made arrangements of power supply through individual PVC insulated electricity line to the regular bill payers.
“It helped in minimising pilferage of power and reduction in aggregated technical and commercial losses of these villages. Simultaneously, the Nigam persuaded the residents to have separate connections and pay their bills timely,” the spokesman said.
The Haryana government had waived electricity bill arrears of over Rs.1,600 crore pending against power consumers on the condition that they paid their future bills regularly.
- Haryana to regularise illegal 'Kundi' power connections - Nov 18, 2010
- Power bill waiver: Rs.3,900 crore arrears for Haryana - Feb 29, 2012
- Over 3.56 lakh lose power connections in Haryana - Apr 24, 2012
- Haryana farmers get 8-hour power supply for rice sowing - Jun 16, 2010
- Remote metres to keep tab on big Haryana industries - Aug 13, 2010
- Over 400,000 to lose power connections in Haryana - May 05, 2010
- Haryana asks ITES units to change power connections - Apr 27, 2011
- Haryana to launch drive to recover power dues - Dec 03, 2010
- Power will be a bit cheaper in Haryana from July 1 - Jun 23, 2010
- One-fourth of Gurgaon, Faridabad to get 24-hour power - May 14, 2012
- Haryana consumers to get power bill on SMS - Mar 05, 2011
- Haryana power companies offer disclosure schemes - Nov 27, 2009
- Incentive for timely bill payment to Haryana panchayats - Sep 29, 2010
- Power firm CA arrested for taking bribe - Feb 26, 2012
- Haryana residents take to the streets over power woes - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: arrears, batta, bill payers, breakthrough, commercial losses, conductor, domestic connections, electricity bill, haryana government, illegal connections, large group, pilferage, power consumers, power supply, pvc, rs 1, spokesman, uhbvn, vitran