Haryana to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairiesJuly 2nd, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 2 (IANS) To propel the milk revolution in Haryana, the state government has decided to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairy units across the state this year (2012-13), an official said Monday.
Already known for the rearing of the high milk yielding “Murraha” buffalo breed, Haryana ranks second only to Punjab in milk production.
The per capita milk availability in Haryana is 680 gm per day which is the second highest, next to Punjab, said a spokesman of the animal husbandry and dairying department.
Milk production aggregates 62.67 lakh tonnes annually, out of which more than 80 percent comes from buffaloes, he added.
He said that to boost milk production in the state, the government would promote the setting up of dairies with up to 20 buffaloes.
As per the last livestock Census (2007), the buffalo population in the state was 59.5 lakh and cattle 15.5 lakh. About 22.27 lakh households were engaged in livestock rearing along with agriculture.
- Murrah milk drives Haryana's white revolution - Aug 22, 2012
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Kerala to get milk from Maharashtra to meet shortages - Feb 11, 2010
- Pawar urges states to increase milk production - Nov 18, 2011
- Bihar to set up 720 mini dairies - Dec 24, 2009
- Stadium comes alive with buffaloes on the ramp! - Feb 22, 2012
- India dairy seeks more state investment to stay on top - Feb 16, 2010
- Punjab imports cattle semen to improve milch breeds - Apr 27, 2012
- Punjab to have cattle markets on French lines - Jun 21, 2011
- Buffaloes to walk the ramp in Haryana - Feb 21, 2012
- Kerala to set up modern dairy farms to meet milk shortage - Apr 28, 2009
- US cattle genetics firm to help Punjab dairying - Sep 03, 2010
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- DS Group acquires dairy plant in Rajasthan - May 02, 2012
- Now hostels for animals in Gujarat - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: aggregates, agriculture, animal husbandry, buffalo population, buffaloes, cattle, census, dairies, dairy units, gm, households, livestock, milk production, per capita, spokesman, state government, tonnes, year 2012