Haryana to seek Rs. 1,022.94 crore aid for flood lossesJuly 10th, 2010 - 11:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 10 (IANS) On the basis of a preliminary assessment of losses incurred in the flood-affected districts, Haryana has sought financial assistance of Rs.1,022.94 crore from the central government, officials said Saturday.
“We are going to submit a memorandum to the government of India seeking an approximate assistance of Rs.1,022.94 crore for the flood affected districts. This amount will be used to repair bridges, roads and for providing various other subsidies,” Principal Secretary (Revenue) Naresh Gulati said.
On the loss to the standing crop, he said that out of an estimated area of 5.72 lakh hectare currently under sowing in the affected districts, around 2.85 lakh hectares was damaged.
“The maximum area of 97,000 hectares is affected in Kaithal district followed by Kurukshetra (71,600 hectares), Karnal (60,000 hectares) and Ambala (56,400 hectares),” he said, adding compensation will be provided to the farmers and full assistance given to them for sowing a second alternate crop to paddy in the fields.
“Besides 16,900 tubewells and 19,500 hectares of horticulture crop have also been damaged in Ambala, Kurukshetra, Kaithal and Karnal districts,” he added.
“Flood water also entered into shops and houses in Ambala and Kurukshetra. At this time it is difficult to ascertain actual loss to these properties as district administration is busy in rescue operation. We will check it once the entire water is pumped out and the total situation is under our control,” Gulati said.
Due to incessant rains July 5-7 in this region, breaches occurred in the Satluj-Yamuna Link and other canals, causing floods in Ambala, Kaithal and Kurukshetra districts. So far 11 people have lost their lives.
- Central team likely to visit flood-affected Haryana districts - Jul 14, 2010
- Flood-hit Haryana farmers get relief - Aug 05, 2010
- Despite floods, Haryana looking at achieving paddy targets - Aug 09, 2010
- Water level in Ghaggar concerns Haryana authorities - Jul 11, 2010
- Haryana farmers hit by floods get relief - Jul 17, 2010
- Flood extensively damages crops in Haryana, Punjab - Jul 09, 2010
- Central team to assess flood losses in Haryana: Hooda (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Haryana seeks liberal central grant for flood damage - Jul 19, 2010
- Haryana CM visits flood-hit districts, irrigation minister blames Punjab for floods - Jul 13, 2010
- Water recedes in Haryana, Punjab; toll 32 - Jul 10, 2010
- Floods continue to leave locals in Haryana distressful - Jul 10, 2010
- Fresh breaches in Ghaggar submerge more Punjab villages (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Flood crisis deepens in Haryana - Jul 11, 2010
- Flood situation improves in Haryana's Sirsa, grim in Mansa in Punjab (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2010
- Sirsa inundated, rescue work on in Haryana, Punjab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: alternate crop, ambala, breaches, canals, central government officials, district administration, flood losses, flood water, government of india, gulati, hectares, horticulture, incessant rains, karnal, lakh, maximum area, naresh, principal secretary, rs 1, standing crop