Haryana to get wheat awardJuly 4th, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 4 (IANS) Haryana, where wheat production was highest in the country during 2010-11, has been selected for the best performing state award for wheat for the year, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda announced here Monday.
Hooda said the award would be presented by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh July 16 on the occasion of the foundation day of the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) in New Delhi.
Hooda said the award, which carries Rs.1 crore in cash, would be utilized for strengthening infrastructure in the state.
“It is for the first time that the state has bagged such an award,” he pointed out.
Wheat is cultivated in an area of nearly 25 lakh hectares in the state.
“During the year 2008-09, wheat production reached 113.60 lakh tonnes with productivity of 4,614 kg per hectare, which was the highest in the country. Resultantly, the state could contribute 69.2 lakh tonnes of wheat to the central foodgrain pool which is second highest after Punjab,” Hooda said.
He added that the state’s efforts in extending technological inputs and services to farmers had resulted in Haryana achieving its highest ever productivity and production of wheat during 2010-11.
- Haryana to create more foodgrain storage - Jun 20, 2012
- Wheat storage crunch in three states - Sep 05, 2011
- Haryana looks at newer pastures for farming - Jan 01, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana stare at foodgrain wastage again, seek help - Jul 22, 2011
- Govt. needs to give serious thought to foodgrains export: Pawar - Apr 06, 2011
- Nalco records excellent production, sales rise - Apr 03, 2011
- India to produce 232 mn tonne foodgrains - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Satellite surveys to discover potential new rubber areas' - Jun 29, 2012
- Haryana breaks all previous wheat procurement records - May 11, 2012
- Assam, Tripura awarded for record food production - Jul 17, 2011
- Bihar registers highest growth rate of 16.71 percent - Jul 17, 2012
- Haryana foodgrain production hits new high - Jun 02, 2009
- Satellite surveys to tap India's rubber growing areas (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Haryana targets increased paddy this year - Jun 29, 2011
Tags: chief minister, crore, farmers, foundation day, hectare, hooda, icar, indian council for agricultural research, july 4, lakh hectares, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, productivity, rs 1, technological inputs, tonnes, wheat production