Haryana, Punjab farmers to get Rs.31 bn loan waiverJune 27th, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 27 (IANS) Farmers from Haryana and Punjab - the two states that contribute most to the nation’s buffer grain stock - will get a loan waiver of nearly Rs.31 billion (Rs.3,095 crore) under the agriculture debt waiver scheme announced by the central government in this year’s budget. The waiver for Haryana farmers - Rs.21.08 billion - will be more than double the loan waiver for Punjab farmers, which is Rs.9.87 billion, figures released by both states Friday indicated.
The loan waiver scheme is to be implemented by June 30 by banks to make the farmers eligible for new loans.
Banks in Haryana will write off loans to 664,675 farmers while in Punjab the beneficiary farmers are 332,872 in number.
Punjab Chief Secretary Ramesh Inder Singh Friday held a meeting with bankers and other officials to review the implementation of loan waiver plan.
He said that loan amounting to Rs.6.34 billion of 179,160 small and marginal farmers would be waived off under the scheme. A total of 153,712 other bigger farmers would get relief amounting to over Rs.3.52 billion.
The central government announced a waiver of over Rs.716 billion (71,600 crore) for farmers earlier this year. Haryana will account for three percent share of the total waiver while Punjab will have a share of just one percent.
“Waiver of debt is a gratitude to our farmers from an indebted nation and more so to the farmers of Haryana who continue to contribute record volumes to the nation’s foodstock,” Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said here.
- Haryana farmers welcome farm loan waiver - Apr 03, 2009
- Punjab moots pension for farmers - May 16, 2012
- RBI urged to help Punjab farmers battle debt - Oct 14, 2010
- Punjab denies debt waiver offer from central government - Oct 08, 2010
- FM checks loan waiver ground realities, skips inflation - Jun 06, 2008
- Government flags off Rs.241 crore sops for coffee farmers - Sep 10, 2010
- Punjab to seek fresh loan waiver package - May 05, 2010
- Rajasthan launches interest-free loan for farmers - Jul 22, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- 'More needed to improve status of agriculture' - Sep 19, 2010
- Karnataka draws action plan for drought-hit (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Kumaraswamy seeks entire loan waiver for farmers - Jul 20, 2009
- Rs.14,000 crore annual plan for Punjab approved - May 14, 2012
- Amid monsoon worry, interest-free loan for Rajasthan farmers - Jul 29, 2012
- No concrete proposal to waive off Punjab's debt: Badal - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: agriculture, banks, beneficiary, bhupinder singh hooda, bn, central government, chief minister, chief secretary, crore, debt waiver, foodstock, gratitude, implementation, inder singh, june 27, marginal farmers, ramesh, record volumes, rs 6, two states