Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead)June 8th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 8 (IANS) Bus commuters had a tough time in Haryana Wednesday as Haryana Roadways employees went on a day’s strike against the government’s privatisation policy. Around 100 strikers were arrested.
The large fleet of buses had gone off the roads across the state following a strike call by the Haryana Roadways Karamchari Sangharsh Samiti.
Striking employees staged protests in different towns including Rohtak, Sonepat, Jhajjar and Hisar.
Bus services were badly hit in Hisar, Faridabad, Yamunanagar, Rohtak, Sonepat and Jind districts. Police escort was provided to buses in Karnal and Bhiwani districts.
Haryana Transport Minister Om Prakash Jain, however, said the strike had failed.
“The strike failed to make much impact. Bus service remained normal and we had even provided police escort at various places,” he said.
Additional Director General of Police B.S. Sandhu said around 80 people were arrested in Rohtak district and around 20 elsewhere in the state.
Haryana Roadways, which plies buses both within and outside the state, has a fleet of 3,211 vehilces and employs more than 16,000 people.
“We are totally against the privatisation of Haryana Roadways,” union leader Rattan Singh told IANS.
The strike was called against the proposed allotment of 2,700 permits to private bus operators. Union leaders said that instead of privatisation, the government should fill vacant posts in Haryana Roadways.
- Thousands hit due to bus strike in Haryana (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Haryana Roadways employees' strike harasses people - Jun 08, 2011
- Haryana sets up police stations to check power, water theft - Feb 05, 2011
- Curfew in Hisar after Jats' violently protest for quota - Sep 14, 2010
- Cops escort buses in Haryana as unions go on strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Strike affects banking services in Punjab, Haryana (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Special police stations to tackle power, water theft - Dec 06, 2011
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Haryana plans science summer coaching in schools - May 01, 2011
- Haryana to have panchayat elections in 8 districts - Jun 15, 2010
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Himachal bus strike hits commuters hard (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Rioting, blockade over power cuts in Hooda's district - Sep 02, 2012
- Haryana releases Jat leaders, stir yet to end - Mar 11, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe; blockade disrupts traffic (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: allotment, bhiwani, bus strike, faridabad, haryana roadways, hisar, jhajjar, jind, karnal, om prakash, operators union, police escort, private bus operators, privatisation policy, sandhu, striking employees, transport minister, union leader, union leaders, vacant posts