Haryana bans Maruti workers’ strikeJune 10th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 10 (IANS) The Haryana government Friday banned the ongoing strike at the manufacturing plant of India’s biggest car manufacturer Maruti, at Manesar near Gurgaon.
Minister of State for Labour and Employment Shiv Charan Lal Sharma, in a statement here, said that the strike at the Maruti plant at Manesar has been banned.
“The Haryana government has, under the provisions of the Industrial Depute Act, 1947, referred the matter of ongoing strike in Maruti Suzuki Udyog Ltd, Manesar, by the workers to the competent labour court and has also passed the orders prohibiting the continuance of the strike in the industrial unit,” the statement said.
The strike at Maruti Suzuki’s plant in Manesar town of Haryana continued for the seventh day Friday as talks between the workers and the management failed to resolve the deadlock over the creation of a second workers’ union.
The total loss to Maruti due to the ongoing strike has been pegged at around Rs.200 crore.
Maruti Suzuki India chairman R.C. Bhargava earlier told IANS that the company has suffered a production volume loss of around 5,400 cars till Thursday, including 600 units on the first day of the strike Saturday.
“Currently, dealers have enough stock for some 28 days of petrol-segment cars, while a short-term effect may be felt for some diesel variants, which in itself is only 20 percent of our entire portfolio,” he said.
The company’s facility at Manesar produces the company’s bestseller hatchbacks and sedans like the Swift, Swift Dzire, A-Star and SX4.
The majority of the automobile giant’s production takes place at its remaining three plants in Gurgaon district.
According to another Maruti official, the strike has the support of around 2,000-odd workers, of whom 11 were sacked Monday for demanding recognition of a separate workers’ union.
- Maruti workers' strike continues, talks fail - Jun 11, 2011
- Maruti workers' strike continues, talks fail (Lead, correcting figure in paras four, six) - Jun 11, 2011
- Strike at Maruti's Manesar plant enters sixth day - Jun 09, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki produces 200 cars at Manesar - Sep 06, 2011
- Talks fail, Maruti strike enters 10th day - Jun 13, 2011
- Fifth day of strike at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 08, 2011
- Maruti strike spreads to other automobile plants (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Maruti strike to continue, other auto unions pledge support (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maruti strike continues, AITUC warns it could spread (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for sixth day, production hit - Oct 12, 2011
- Maruti workers' strike into day 12 - Jun 15, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki strike called off as agreement reached (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Strike continues for fourth day at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 07, 2011
- Day 13 of Maruti workers strike - Jun 16, 2011
- Strike continues at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: 28 days, bhargava, car manufacturer, continuance, deadlock, depute, haryana government, hatchbacks, labour court, lal, manesar, manufacturing plant, maruti suzuki india, minister of state, production volume, rs 200, sedans, variants, volume loss, workers union