Half of Britain’s young black men unemployedMarch 11th, 2012 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 11 (IANS) More than half of young black men in Britain wanting work are unemployed and are twice as likely to be jobless as their white counterparts, according to new government statistics.
Figures provided by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that in the last quarter of 2011, unemployment among black 16 to 24-year-olds stood at around 56 percent, almost double the 29 percent in the same quarter of 2008, the Independent reported.
Unemployment rates for young black men and women combined at the end of 2011 was 47 percent, up from around 29 percent three years ago.
In contrast, for whites in the same age group, it rose from 15 percent in 2008 to around 21 percent in 2011.
Iqbal Wahhab, chairman of the ethnic minority advisory group at the Department for Work and Pensions said ministers need to do more to deal with the high unemployment rates among young black men.
About 27 percent of young Asian men of the same age group are currently unemployed compared to 24 percent of white men and 22 percent of mixed race men, the Daily Mail reported.
The Department for Work and Pensions said it would be spending one billion pounds over the next three years to help young people find jobs by creating half a million opportunities through work experience and apprenticeships.
“We have introduced a number of measures designed to give all young people the right skills and experience to match them to vacancies,” it said in a statement.
- Britain's jobless rate to hit 9 percent - Mar 06, 2012
- Unemployment rate hit record high in Greece - Jun 08, 2012
- Spanish jobless rate climbs above 24 percent - Apr 28, 2012
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- South Korea's unemployment rate falls a little - Dec 14, 2011
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- Spanish economy shrinks - Aug 29, 2012
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- Canada's unemployment rate falls - Jul 07, 2012
- South Korea's jobless rate drops in October - Nov 09, 2011
- South Korea's jobless rate falls - Mar 14, 2012
- Births continue to decline in Spain - Jan 19, 2012
- More than five mn out of work in Spain - Jan 28, 2012
- Unemployed Italians become shepherds - May 03, 2012
- People over 75 don't feel lonely: Study - May 29, 2011
Tags: advisory group, age group, asian men, black men, daily mail, department for work and pensions, ethnic minority, government statistics, half a million, last quarter, london march, march 11, mixed race, national statistics, one billion pounds, race men, unemployment rates, white men, work and pensions, work experience