Half billion people will use Google Android by 2015September 24th, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 24 (IANS) Half a billion people will be using the Google Android operating system by 2015, according to the analysts Informa.
“This growth will be driven by the ongoing competition between top tier manufacturers and challengers such as Google, RIM, Apple and Microsoft who are racing to create the best possible user experience at lower pricing points,” Informa said.
Nokia will lose out most from the trend, according to Informa principal analyst Malik Kamal-Saadi.
“Informa expects that the market share of Symbian, from total smartphone users, to drop significantly from 53 percent in 2009 to 32 percent in 2015.
“In terms of sales, smartphones powered by Android are expected to surpass these of Symbian as early as 2012,” he said, reports the Telegraph.
Kamal-Saadi said Nokia will come under increasing pressure to change their strategy if innovation does not materialise on the Symbian platform.
“If Nokia joins the Android party, the support of this eco-system by all key players could help the mobile smartphone industry to potentially commoditise its software business much like what Microsoft did in the PC world,” he said.
If Nokia continues in its current strategy, it would be addressing “niche markets,” Kamal-Saadi added.
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- Android overtakes Symbian as world's most popular smartphone OS - Feb 02, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Nokia launches E6, X7 with Symbian Anna user interface - Jun 29, 2011
- Android taking over the smartphone market - Mar 08, 2012
- BlackBerry stock slips on India report - Feb 01, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Reliance Communications to market Android devices in India - Apr 16, 2012
- Samsung unveils new Galaxy smartphone - May 04, 2012
- Apple topples Nokia to become top smart phone seller - Jul 22, 2011
- Will Microsoft buy BlackBerry to take on Apple? - May 06, 2011
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
- Android to capture 49 percent of market by 2012 - Apr 08, 2011
- Mobile phones hackers' main target - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: android, apple, best possible user experience, challengers, eco system, google, innovation, kamal, market share, microsoft, niche markets, nokia, operating system, pc world, principal analyst, rim, saadi, software business, symbian platform, telegraph