Haj is not for making profits, says apex courtJuly 27th, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday said that the private tour operators (PTOs), engaged in the travel of Haj pilgrims, could not undertake their enterprise with an eye on profits.
“Haj is not for making profits,” said the apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai in the course of the hearing of a batch of petitions by PTOs, seeking to be registered for the allocation of Haj seats.
While declining to interfere with the Haj policy, relating to PTOs for the year 2012, the court said there was a lot of scope for improvement in the policy.
The court said that the Haj policy for PTOs should be just reasonable and fair to all concerned and not lead to monopolisation of travels of the Haj pilgrims by a few private operators.
According to the Haj PTO policy for the year 2012, anyone having an annual turnover of Rs.1 crore in either 2009-10 or 2010-11, was eligible to be registered.
PTOs who moved the court Friday contended that those who have a turnover of Rs.1 crore or more in year 2011-12 too should be considered for registering as Haj PTO.
- Haj is not for making profits, says apex court (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Haj VIP quota is bad: Supreme Court - Oct 18, 2011
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota - Apr 30, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- SC declines government's plea on VIP Haj quota - Jul 27, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut - Jul 23, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- Apex court wants VIP quota for Haj to go (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut by apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Court curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators - Sep 19, 2011
- Apex court wants VIP quota for Haj to go - Apr 16, 2012
- No Haj subsidy after 10 years, SC tells government (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, aftab, alam, annual turnover, apex, apex court, court bench, desai, haj pilgrims, New Delhi, petitions, prakash, private operators, private tour operators, profits, ptos, ranjana, rs 1, scope, year 2012